Chapter 57

Chapter 57

"Maya!" I shouted. "The demons are back!" This couldn't be good. The demons were back, and it was just Maya and I. We didn't have Grandma to protect us, so if the demons got us, there was nothing we could do. We probably wouldn't be able to get out of Hell a second time.

Maya looked out the shop window. "Really?" she said. "I don't see any."

"Henri said that there were," I said as I looked out the shop window. There were no demons in sight. "If this is a joke, then it's a really cruel one."

"Henri's not the type to make jokes like that," Maya said.

"Let me see what everyone else said," I said as I took out my phone again and looked at the rest of my messages.

strange_quark: A whole bunch of demons just landed in my backyard, and according to The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Underworld, they appear to be of the Modern Criminal variety, mixed with a few older types. Be careful, and please text me to let me know that you and Maya are still okay.

BlackhawksForTheWin: Ivy, are you and Maya okay? Let me know, because the demons just arrived.

Anne_Livingston: Please stay at the mall until the demons have passed by. I don't want you to run into them while you're walking home.

"Did you get anything?" I asked Maya, who was looking through her messages as well.

"I think it's real," Maya said. "A bunch of people texted me about it.

"Grandma told me to stay here, so let's just do that," I said. By that point, my nails were dry, so I started pacing around the salon. Demons weren't that fast. Maybe they wouldn't get to us at all. Maybe we would be safe.

"I hope that the demons don't get here," Maya said, reading my thoughts exactly. "I don't want my stuff from Hot Topic to get stolen. Losing that Patrick Stump poster was bad enough."

"Why does everything have to link back to your stupid poster?" I shouted.

"Because I needed that poster, and the demons stole it!" Maya screamed.

Suddenly, a girl with a haircut that was even more emo than Maya's and a copious amount of eyeliner passed by the store. I figured she was just another shopper, until I spotted the patch of grey skin on her forehead. "Patrick's so cute, isn't he?" the demon said as she popped into the salon. "By the way, I'm totally not sorry for stealing your poster." The demon cackled as she ran off, and Maya tried to chase her.

"It's not worth it, Maya," I said. "You'll get taken to Hell if you try to chase her."

"But I want my poster back!" Maya whined.

"Is that poster worth going to Hell for?" I asked.

"No," Maya said. "Hell was horrifying. I never want to go back there again."

"That's what I thought," I said. "Let's stay here until the demons pass by."

The manager of the store ran to the door so she could lock it, and everyone else simply stayed in the salon, hoping that the demons would pass by quickly. Most of the demons simply ran past our section of the mall as they looked for somewhere with more people, but a few scratched at the door. I stayed low, trying to make sure that the demons wouldn't see me. I saw Maya playing on her phone. "What are you doing?" I asked her.

"Working on Forbidden Passion," she said.

"This isn't the time!" I exclaimed as I looked out the window and saw a wave of demons pass through. "There are demons right outside our window, and all you're concerned about is your fanfiction!"

"This is important!" Maya shouted. "I haven't updated Forbidden Passion in four days!"

"Your readers can wait one more day," I said. "I bet this is how you got taken last time."

"Don't even bring that up," Maya grumbled, but she did put her phone away.

The two of us waited in silence for what seemed like forever. Thankfully, none of the demons entered the salon, but that didn't stop me from worrying. If we were taken, then nobody would bother to rescue us. We would be doomed. I hadn't gotten any new texts from any of my friends, which only increased my anxiety. What if something had happened to one of them?

Another massive rush of demons came through, and I crouched down in one of the corners of the room. If we were lucky, this would be the last of the demons.

All of a sudden, I heard the sound of something shattering. I looked up and saw that someone had broken through the window. I covered my head to avoid the falling glass, but thankfully, nobody was hurt. I glanced up again, and that was when I saw who was trying to break into the salon.

Of course. It was none other than Jordan.