Chapter 25

Chapter 25

"Why are we going to a hockey game?" I asked Maya. She didn't seem like the type of person who would be a hockey fan.

"I told Raj that we were going to come," Maya said. "He started a youth hockey league, and he wanted us to come to his first game. Henri and Jack said that they were going to be there too."

"Okay fine," I said. "I'll come. Where is it?"

"Follow me," Maya said. She began walking through the town towards a large building with the sign "Cedar Creek Ice Rink." Maya was still wearing her headphones as she pushed open the door and held it open so I could get in. "I'm getting a hot chocolate before the game," she said. "Do you want one?"

"Do they have mocha frappucinos?" I asked.

"No," Maya said. "Why would you want an iced coffee? It's an ice rink!"

"I like mocha frappucinos," I said.

Maya rolled her eyes. "Whatever," she said. "I don't think that they have any of those anyways. You're such a stereotypical Starbucks-loving white girl, you know."

"I know," I said. "Caroline always made fun of me for it."

"Ugh, I hated Caroline," Maya said. "That's really hypocritical of her to say though. She went to Starbucks just as much as you did."

"That's true," I said. "Caroline wasn't that bad though."

"Yes she was," Maya argued. "She teased me back in middle school because I liked emo music...then again, you do that too."

"You're so easy to make fun of," I said.

"So do you want me to get you a hot chocolate?" Maya asked me.

"How much is it?" I asked.

"Two dollars," Maya answered. "Three dollars if you want a large."

I took out two dollars, and handed it to Maya. She ran off to buy the drinks, and came back with one for me and one for herself. Maya handed me my drink, and the two of us entered the ice rink.

We found Jack and Henri pretty quickly. The two of them had found a spot near the top of the bleachers, and there was enough room for Maya and I to sit next to them. "Hi Jack! Hi Henri!" Maya said. "What's up?"

"Not much," Jack said. He shivered and said, "Why do hockey rinks have to be so cold?"

"It is not that bad," Henri said. He then held Jack's hand and said, "But I think I can help you warm up."

"Aww, you two are so adorable!" Maya squealed. "Jenri for life!"

Jack just rolled his eyes, while Henri said, "I actually do have some news."

"What is it?" I asked.

"I got a new oboe!" Henri exclaimed. "What should I name her?"

"How do you know that it's a girl?" Jack asked.

"She sounds like a girl," Henri argued. "Sebastian was obviously a boy, but this one's a girl."

"Instruments don't have genders," I said. "This is ridiculous."

"In French, all nouns have a gender," Henri said. "The French word for oboe, le hautbois, is masculine, but that doesn't mean that I can't decide what gender my oboe is. So what do you think I should name her?"

"Name her after me!" Maya shouted. "You could call her Miss Jackson!" She then started singing terribly. "MISS JACKSON! MISS JACKSON! MISS JACKSON!"