Chapter 64

Chapter 64

That evening, I went to Adam's concert. Maya said that she didn't want to go, which made sense since she didn't know Adam. She claimed that she had "better things to do," which I assumed consisted of writing her stupid fanfic and listening to My Chemical Romance, but it was her choice. As much as I hated listening to her complaining about her lack of reads on the latest chapter of Forbidden Passion, this was what she enjoyed, and I had to put up with it. Besides, I only had to deal with her until she turned eighteen, which was in October. October wasn't too far away. I only had to wait a few more months, but I figured that I might as well make those few months the best that I could.

I ended up going to the concert alone. The train ride there was fairly uneventful. I didn't see Adam there, even though I was kind of hoping to. I kind of knew that I wouldn't see him though, since he had probably arrived early.

Adam's piano recital was in the same concert hall that Henri's concert was in, so I kind of knew my way around. I found my seat fairly quickly, and then waited for the concert to start.

I wasn't quite sure where to go from here. The demons seemed like they might finally be gone, but they was no way to be sure. I figured that the best course of action was simply to carry on and not worry about it too much, and that was what I was trying to do. There was one thing that I was still worrying about though, and that was Adam.

I knew that I shouldn't have been worrying that much about Adam. He was a nice guy, and I knew that he would be okay even if we didn't get together. Besides, there was no way that we could ever have a normal relationship. We would most likely never get married, and we would definitely never grow old together. That didn't stop me from liking him though.

The recital finally started after a few minutes of waiting. A few other people played before Adam, and looking through the program, I saw that he would be the fourth person to perform. They were all okay, but not great. I still had a somewhat good time though, even if a lot of that time was spending flipping through the program.

Finally, it was Adam's turn to play. I watched him as he walked over to the piano bench and sat down. He stretched out his long, perfect fingers for a second before looking in my direction and flashing me a smile. I smiled back, and he placed his fingers on the keys, took a deep breath, and began to play.

Adam's playing was, in fact, rather impressive. I didn't know the piece that he was playing, but it was soft and delicate, but yet so emotional. All I knew was that I loved it. His playing wasn't quite perfect, and I knew that he made a few mistakes, but that didn't matter. Even his errors managed to sound great. At the end of the piece, everyone applauded. Adam took a quick bow and went offstage.

A few other people performed after Adam, but by that point, I had zoned out. I was too busy thinking about Adam, and it wasn't just the performance. His hazel eyes just wouldn't leave my head.

I met up with Adam after the concert. "How did I do?" he asked me.

"You played really well," I said. "I'm very impressed."

"Thanks," Adam said. "Thank you so much for coming."

"You're welcome, Adam," I said. "I just thought that I should come to support you."

"That's so sweet of you to say," Adam said.

"What was the name of that song you played?" I asked him.

"Prelude for Piano No. 11 by Rachmaninov," Adam said. He blushed and said, "I chose it for you."

"Really?" I said.

"I thought that you might like it," Adam said.

"I loved it, Adam," I said. "You played so well."

"Thank you so much, Ivy," he said. "Do you want to go out for ice cream or something?"

"Sure, that sounds fun," I said. The two of us left the concert hall and went outside. The sun was still setting, and I could see the bronze disc that was the sun falling in the sky, surrounded by shades of blue, orange, and purple. Adam smiled and gestured for me to follow him as he started walking towards an ice cream shop. I stopped every so often to look at the sunset, but for the most part, I kept walking. It was one of those perfect summer nights, and I wanted to enjoy it while I could.

Adam and I entered the ice cream shop, and I asked him what kind of ice cream he wanted. "Strawberry," he answered. I bought him a scoop of strawberry and got myself a cookie dough, and we both sat down.

"Thank you, Ivy," Adam said as he took a large bite out of his ice cream cone.

"You deserve it," I said.

"So what are we going to do now?" Adam asked.

"I don't know," I answered. "Let's go home, and then we'll see where we go from here."

"That sounds nice," Adam said. "You know, I've had a really great day today, and it's all because of you."

"Thanks Adam," I said. "I've had a great day too."

We both finished our ice cream, and we stayed there chatting about all sorts of nonsense for the next thirty minutes or so. It was starting to get late, so we both went home. As I walked home with his hand in mine, I decided that I didn't care if anything more ever happened with Adam. I was safe and happy in Heaven, and that was really what mattered, and more than anything, I was just proud of myself. I had come so far since I had died back in November, and so much had changed, but it was all positive change. I was simply glad to see how far I had come.