Chapter 54

Chapter 54

I was on my way to work when I spotted Adam yet again. He was looking as good as ever with his messy black hair and mesmerizing hazel eyes. He was dressed more nicely than usual, which surprised me. Usually, he just wore shorts and T-shirts, but he was wearing a dress shirt and slacks today.

"Hey Adam," I said. "What's up?" My heart started to beat faster, but I was sure that he wasn't interested in me. Besides, I didn't need a boyfriend. In five years, I would be reincarnated, so it was useless to start up a relationship now.

"I'm doing fine," Adam said.

"Are you headed to a meeting or something?" I asked.

"No," Adam said. "I'm taking a day off work today."

"Okay," I said. "You look really nice."

"Thanks," Adam said, smiling. "So do you."

"Thank you, Adam," I said. "So what are you doing today?"

"Not much," Adam admitted. "I might be having lunch with a few friends, but that's about it."

"That sounds nice," I said. "I wish I could take a day off today."

"I'll have to go back to work tomorrow though," Adam said. "That's not going to be fun. I love my job, but it's still a job."

"I know what you mean," I said. "I'm sick of constantly having to cover the demon attacks. Can't they come up with something more interesting to report on?"

"Apparently not," Adam said. "I've been reading the Celestial Post. The last interesting article was the one on Black Afterlives Matter."

"Maybe I should suggest something," I said. "We could do an article on Maya making it out of Hell. That's news, right?"

"I would read that," Adam said.

"I'll suggest it then," I said.

"Excellent," Adam said. "I can't wait to read about it."

"I can't wait to take pictures for it," I said. "It will probably be an easy job. I'll just take a few pictures of Maya and everyone else, and then I can be done."

"I'm sure you'll do a great job," Adam said. "You always do."

"Thanks Adam," I said. "You're the best."

"I'm not the best, but thanks anyways," Adam said.

"Come on, Adam," I said. "You're amazing."

"I don't think so," Adam said.

"You are absolutely amazing, and don't you dare say otherwise," I said.

"Speaking of my supposed amazingness, I need to ask you something," Adam said.

"What is it?" I asked.

"So...uh...I've liked you for a while, and I was wondering if you...uh...wanted to go out with me?" Adam said.

I wasn't sure how to respond to that one, so I just stared at Adam for a few seconds, at a loss for words. I couldn't believe my ears. Adam liked me and wanted to go out with me. That seemed impossible, but there was no way that I had misheard it. It had to be true.

On the other hand, I wasn't even sure if I wanted to date Adam. He was cute, but there was still Jordan. I couldn't just ignore him, even if I hadn't seen him in weeks. He would be so hurt if he found out that I was dating Adam. I had to at least let him know before I chose Adam, but there was no way to contact him. I was stuck.

I wanted Adam more than anything, but I couldn't say yes to him yet. I felt like I was trapped in some kind of stupid romance story, where I had to choose between two guys who were both madly in love with me. This was causing me more strife than in any romance novel though. No matter what I did, someone was going to get hurt, and I could never live with that.

I didn't want to hurt Jordan, but I didn't want to hurt Adam either, and just judging by the look in his eyes, he desperately wanted me to say yes. I wanted to say yes too, but I couldn't do that. I was torn, but I had to give Adam an answer.

"I...I don't know," I finally told him. "I'll have to think about it. I like you...well, as a friend, at least, but I don't know about a relationship. I'll let you know later."

"Ivy, it's okay if you're not interested in me," Adam said. "I'll get over it, I promise."

"I am interested in you!" I exclaimed. "It's just really, really complicated."

"What's going on then?" Adam asked. "You know you can tell me anything, right?"

"You wouldn't understand," I said.

"I think I would if you told me what was going on," Adam said. "I won't tell anyone if you don't want me to."

"Just leave me alone!" I shouted as I ran off. As I did so, the scene replayed over and over in my head. It seemed so surreal, as if the whole thing hadn't really happened. Had Adam really asked me out? It seemed crazy to think that he really liked me. He probably didn't anymore though. He probably hated me now. I ran into the park and sat down on one of the benches, and that's when the gravity of the whole situation finally hit me.

I had never felt so hopelessly, painfully alone.