Chapter Four

All week Jack and I have been texting. I also haven't been sleeping well lately. I mean, it's been like this for a while now, but it's been a bit worse this week. I haven't slept in three days and before that I was only sleeping for an hour or two a night. No matter how tired I was, my anxiety would take over and I just could not sleep. Plus, there's the thoughts that creep up at night. 

Jack: so I was thinking we could do something today? like maybe dinner or something?

Dinner? I was too scared to hang out with him, let alone eat in front of him. I decided to lie.

Sent: my parents are actually making me eat dinner with them, sorry

Jack: well, maybe something else then? the beach, the mall, the carnival ... ?

God, he really was not going to leave me alone. I figured I better just do something with him. He can't be too bad, right? 

sent: the carnival sounds good. what time works for you?

Jack: how bout I pick you up at 2:30?

I agreed and gave him my address and set my phone down. Was I really doing something? Was this a date or what? I had about 1 hour until he'd be here and I haven't even showered. I left my room and went into the bathroom to take my shower.

When I was done, I couldn't figure out what to wear. I stood in front of my closet not knowing what I should decide on. I put on a pair of black high waisted shorts and a black Guns N' Roses t-shirt. Who cares if I am about to go out in 80 degree weather wearing completely black? I didn't. 

I went back into the bathroom to do my make up and straighten my hair. By the time I was finished with everything, it was 2:20. I didn't know how much money I'd need, so I just stuck a 20 dollar bill in my pocket. I grabbed my phone and went downstairs to wait. I leaned against the couch that my brother was sitting on. It was awkwardly silent for a few minutes until he spoke up. 

"What are you doing?" he asked.

"Waiting for someone." I said.

"Oh. Where are you going?" he asked.

"Is it any of your damn business?" 

He was silent for a moment again.

"How are you?" he asked.

"Fine." I said.

"Are you sure? You don't seem fine. You look like you haven't slept in days." 

"Fuck off."

"I just want to help you out. You're my little sister and I'm worried about you." 

I didn't know how to reply, but thankfully I didn't have to because someone who I assumed was Jack knocked on the door. I walked over to the door, and sure enough there was Jack. 

"Hey, you ready to go?" he asked.

"Yeah." I said as I followed him out, shutting the door behind me. I walked over to his car and noticed there was a few small dents in it, but nothing too bad. It still looked like a nice car.

When we both got in, he started backing out of the driveway and down the road. 

"Hey, I'm glad we're hanging out. If I make you uncomfortable again, just tell me." he said.

"It wasn't your fault, it's fine." I said.

"You sure?" 

"Yeah." I said, smiling to reassure him. 

He half smiled at me before looking back at the road, which caused this weird feeling in my stomach. 

After about ten minutes, we were at the carnival and we both got out of his car. He locked the doors and walked with me over to the carnival.