Chapter Fifteen

A few days ago I had a long phone call with my parents. We talked about the drug use, my eating disorder, and just everything. Well, everything except for what happened all those years ago. I couldn't tell anyone else. I hadn't even talked about it with Jack since that night I told him.  

We all are on good terms now and they invited Jack and I to dinner today. I tried getting out of it, but I couldn't. So now, here I am about to leave with Jack to go to my house. I haven't been there since I was kicked out. My anxiety was getting very bad at this point. Dinner involves food, and plus having to eat around people in general was a trigger.  

"Are you ready?" Jack asked me from the living room. 

"Yeah, just a minute." I said. I had asked him if I could just have a little while alone. That little while turned into an hour now. All I had done was sit on the bed or pace back and forth. I shouldn't be this anxious. I quickly stood up and nearly collapsed as dizziness took over me. I stood still for a few seconds to make sure it was okay to walk and then I walked out the door.  

"Are you alright?" he asked, looking worried. 

"I'm fine. Why?"  

"Nothing, just making sure," he said, but the worried look on his face said something else. 

"Don't be worried about me," I said, "I'm fine." 

He sighed and led me out of his apartment. When we were outside, we got into his car. I put the seatbelt on over me and Jack started up the car. After he drove out of the parking lot, he grabbed my hand in his and squeezed it tight to reassure me things will be alright.  

"I know you're afraid, but have faith in yourself," he said, "You're strong." 

I didn't say anything back, just squeezed his hand back. 

Sooner than I'd like, we were in the driveway of my house. We both got out of the car and walked up to the door without saying anything. Should I knock? Do I just walk right in? I didn't have to do either, because Andrew opened the door, inviting us in. 

"Hey. I missed you, Marley," he said and smiled. I just slightly smiled back. "Hey, Jack." 

"Hey," I heard Jack say.  

"Where are mom and dad?" I asked Andrew. 

"Mom's in the kitchen, dad's upstairs in his office." 

I just nodded and looked at both Andrew and Jack. It was so awkward and suddenly my mood was becoming worse. Then I heard my mom's cheerful voice and I was embraced with a hug. 

"Marley, sweetie! I'm so glad you're here," she said. 

"Hi, mom," was all I said and smiled a bit. 

"Oh, and this must be Jack! She told us all about you on the phone. Thank you for taking her in."  

"It's no problem. It's nice to meet you," Jack said, smiling at her. He must sound a lot more enthusiastic than I did right now. I looked down and a few seconds later, Jack took my hand in his. 

"Oh, I just can't stand it! You two are so cute!" my mother said and Andrew and Jack laughed. I just blushed and moved closer to Jack, burying my head into his chest. I didn't like this situation at all and I felt like I were about to cry. Jack just hugged me tightly. 

"Could you give me and Marley a minute, please?" Jack asked. 

"Oh, yes of course. I have to finish dinner anyways! It'll be done in about fifteen minutes," I heard my mother say before she walked away and soon Andrew left to go upstairs.