Chapter Twenty-Three (Final)

It's been about a week since Jack and I made things right again and I had found myself much happier and less bitter towards everything. I didn't know what in the hell we were thinking, but we thought this would be a great idea. It was, actually. It was midnight and Jack and I had decided we were going to go to that field again. We were just watching TV when he said we should go. We were fucking insane. It was maybe 45 degrees outside, so of course we had our jackets, but it would still be cold. I actually loved long car rides with Jack, especially at night and this spur of the moment. It was wild and exciting and I loved it. We drove for hours blasting music, neither of us tired. When we got there, we both got out of his car and sat next to each other in some grass. 

"Fuck, the ground is so cold." I said. 

"Well come here then." Jack said before helping me into his lap. He wrapped his arms around me as I straddled him, facing him. I leaned in and gently rubbed my nose against his before he pecked my lips. I could feel him smile against them. 

"You know, it's three in the morning and technically the twenty-fourth." Jack said. 

"And?" I said, even though I was fully aware of what he was talking about. I was just trying to not make a big deal out of it. 

"It's your birthday." He said before pausing. "I got you something." 

"No, Jack, you didn't have to get me anything. I don't need anything." I said. 

"I wanted to get you something. You deserve it, so shush." He said, chuckling and reaching into his pocket. I couldn't really make out what it was because of the darkness. He took his phone out and unlocked it to shine some light onto it. It was a silver necklace with a tiny heart on it.  

"Jack, it's beautiful." I said, holding it in my hand. 

"Here, let me put it on for you." He said, taking the necklace and putting it around my neck and clipping It on. 

"Thank you so much, Jack. I love it." I said, kissing him gently. He kissed me back. 

"You know, we've gotten to know each other so well the past months. I've really fallen for you, Marley. Yeah, you have your issues, but you got the help you needed and you're working on them still and I'm just so proud, you know that? I love you so much. You say I've helped guide you, but you've helped me, really. You showed me that no matter how bad things get, you can rise above it and get through it." He said. 

"Oh, Jack. I don't know where I'd be without you. I mean, I'd probably still be doing drugs and still not eating and just not taking care of myself. I could have died. You saved me, Jack. I mean, I did this all myself, but you helped me realize I can't be doing this to myself. I want to be happy. I am happy." I said. 

"You're beautiful and worthy of life, okay? Never, ever forget that. And if for some reason, and I hope not, we don't work out, keep getting through life. I want you to be happy, okay?" He said. 

"I know. I want you to be happy, too." I said, wrapping my arms around his neck and kissing him. He smiled and fell back with me on top of him.  

"I really do love you. I keep saying that, but you're everything I want." Jack said. "You're beautiful, funny, adorable, and just a great person to be around. You aren't just my girlfriend, you're also my best friend. I trust you with everything and I hope that I have gained your trust back, or at least am getting close to that. What I did was a shitty thing and I'd never do it again."  

"I know you won't, Jack. Just let it go, okay?" I said. He sighed and nodded before kissing me. 

"It's cold." Jack said, sitting up, and then standing up while still holding me.