o n e

1 w e e k l a t e r

I sigh and continue to stare out the window, as I have been doing for 3 hours. It gets harder every day. Losing Luke was the worst thing that's ever happened to me. I fell into depression, never eating or talking. I never laughed or smiled, and I forgot how to feel... Well, happy.

I hear the door to my room open.

My mother sighs.

"Carrie-" she starts, but I cut her off. "Carter. Call me Carter." I say, through gritted teeth.

When Luke died, I changed my name back to Carter. He would've wanted that.

"Ok, Carter. Katie is here." I look over as my mom steps to the side and my best friend, Katelyn Jean Korth, walks in. Katie has her medium length blonde hair tied back in a pony tail. She has bags under her blue eyes, probably stressed out over me. I was always jealous of Katie because, unlike me, her parents let her get a tragus and a cartilage piercing, both of which I've always wanted.

Katie isn't model skinny, she's average like I was (until Luke died and I lost my appetite), but she worked it well. She was never confident about herself even though I constantly remind her that she's beautiful, usually singing the One Direction song, since she's a huge fan of them. She's very laid back, as am I. We get along so well because we both find something humorous in nearly everything.

She walks up to me and kneels down.

"Hey hun, how are you?" She says with a concerned look. She needs to stop worrying, I'll be fine.

I shrug at her. She takes a deep breath.

"Well... As you know, it's nearly summer... So I'll be leaving soon." Kate's parents allow her to go on a trip every summer, so that she can experience new things and such. She goes for the whole summer, and comes back two weeks before school starts back up. My summers were always lonely without her. I nod my head at her, already feeling more alone.

"But," she continues as I raise an eyebrow, "this year, my parents want me to take you with."

I nearly jump out of my seat. "What?!" I exclaim. For a moment, I forget why I've been so down this past week.

She smiles at me as I feel my mood lifting.

"Where are we going? When are we leaving? Oh my god I need to pack!" I say while running to my closet and pulling out my suitcase, but I pause and stare at my closet.

"What do I pack? I don't even know where we're going yet!" We both giggle but I stop, remembering Luke.

"We're going to... DRUM ROLL PLEASE," Katie shouts, "LOS ANGELES!" I grin. That's where I've always wanted to go!

"OH MY GOD KATIE I LOVE YOU FOR THIS!" We start jumping around and hugging.

"I'm gonna help you pack, we leave in 2 days!" She says and I instantly stop and step back. "YOU ONLY GAVE ME TWO DAYS TO GET READY?!" We both laugh and start throwing clothes into the suitcase.

I go over to my ihome and plug in my phone. The first song to play is Good Girls by 5 seconds of summer, whom we both are deeply in love with.

We dance around my room, and I almost forget that he's gone.

Almost.