Chapter 1 < me

How'd I sum my self up to you .... Well I'm 17. Long brown hair , bright green eyes. I'm quite a player .... Not on purpose but my school here in the uk is full of boys and they all take girls for granted, they seem to have something on me. Cause I said I want to be a model or dancer when I'm older and now they push me against walls and try and snog my face off ... It makes me super mad. What about my family you may ask ?? My parents are always working , like always ... Then there's me , and my dog , max. Max is a Belgian melinous , they're like German Shepards. He's trained , specially just for me... I suffer from depression , and panic attacks. I also have something wrong with me , were if i get too depressed , I have a fit ... Max is trained to alert close by people , and if no one is there , he is alerted to fetch my inhaler and medicine. If I'm ever depressed , he licks my face and my hands and curls himself up on my stomach , letting his head lay in the crook of my neck. And then if it gets worse he fetches my pills... He's amazing.
Since my parents are never home , this is how I got max.
Now we were moving , moving everywhere... Not just to another village or town , we were moving to Australia. It was exciting yet terrifying...
" Iris" my mum snapped me out of my thoughts. "Sorry , yeah" I rubbed my eyes. I looked out of the car window and saw the airport. This place was huge. The bags were pulled out to reveal max laid there chewing his bunny toy. It was the cutest thing ever , it only had one eye left , a ripped ear , the stuffing was falling out and it looked horrible but he loved it so much. I signalled him to come over and I clipped on his bright yellow harness that read assistance dog on the side. On the other it said , not to be touched without handlers permission , working dog
It made me feel safe and special as I could take him literally everywhere. I smiled at the panting dog , holding his bunny by its ear. I checked his ID tag was clipped on and then slid out the car. I had the lead in my pocket but he was well trained so he didn't need it.
I grabbed my backpack and hand bag. My handbag had my essentials for the plane in and the backpack had Max's in.
"Mam , your dog is allowed in but I'd keep him on leesh cause they are quite strict here" a plane assister said walking past. I thanked him , while clipping a long lead onto Max's collar. I tied it to my shorts , being too lazy to hold it.
"Let's go boy , but stay close" I said following my dad and mum. My sister who was two years younger then me , stayed by my side. I loved watching her with the dog , he was working but he was so gentle with her.
"It's gonna be okay Iris" she smiled. "I know , Megan it's just weird isn't it , just having to leave"
She nodded.
We entered the airport and I gained many glances. Some saying why the fuck has she got a dog there's nothing wrong with her , others smiley and happy to see him.
I followed Megan over to the bag customs , where they loaded our suitcases onto the scanner and sent them off.
"Your welcome to get some food , or sit about , your plane is boarding in around 35 minutes" the woman said. My mum thanked her and took off for the coffee shop. "Guessing it's just me and you left" I said to Megan. She nodded. "Fancy a drink" she asked looking at a pub. It wasn't a proper pub , it was a family one but we'd just get a juice or something there. I nodded , trying to smile. "Wait over there by that wall , I'll be as fast as I can" she smiled , this is why I loved her. I forced a big grin and then walked over to the corner.
I felt physically worn out , drained so I slid down on the wall. My breath was warm and raspy. I didn't really feel much else. I couldn't talk , I was panicking. Tears spilling. Max began licking at my fingers , nibbling my nose and yapping at me , but I was too depressed too think about him. He was scratching at the bag containing my medication but he couldn't undo the zip. He was whining in despair before I saw him run down the corridor , barking. I heard , an Australian accent talk back.
"Hey boy what's up with you" he laughed. Max was growling and yanking his sleeves. The blue haired , shaggy looking boy looked to where he dog was dragging him and began running , shouting another name.
"Shit , good boy" he smiled , Patting max. Max's collar has a ring with a piece of paper curled inside and max can de attach it if someone needs medication instructions. But this guy seemed to know what he was doing. He was routing through my backpack. Before pulling out the bright red box and the deep blue box. "Which one boy?" He asked. Max sniffed each one , before scratching at the blue one. The guy took , a few of the pills , to be silly just the right amount and placed them in my mouth , taking the water from his pocket to let me swallow them.
The medication works instantly , making my breath sharply pierce my lungs. I began to cough and splutter. The guy , randomly placed me in his arms and it felt so good , being hugged by this stranger. My nerves began to calm as I saw Megan running over , spilling black currant juice everywhere. She placed them on the floor and took my hand in hers. "Oh my god , your okay" she sobbed. Max was laid with his head in my lap. "Good boy , max you did good" she smiled handing him a treat. He wagged his tail. "Thank you" she blushed , looking up at the baby blue haired boy. "I suffer from it myself" he smiled back. "You saved my sisters life , my hero" she blushed , wrapping her arms round him. I was holding onto Max's fur , nervous because three other boys were watching me. One of them was Asian looking but he was gorgeous. "Thank you" I said quietly. He smiled down at me nodding.
The boys left , max barking at the three boys for staring. "Woah !! Dude chill" the Asian looking one said holding his hands at the dog. "Your making her nervous it's a protection thing" Megan smiled, "oh , my bad" he smiled back.
The trick was too pretend it never happened and I'd get over it. Megan handed me my drink , we sat talking about the boys and how cute they were , laughing about it. "I think you like that blue haired boy" I smirked"
"Shut up" she blushed hiding her face in her knees, "you do !! You do!!" I poked her, she rolled her eyes laughing , throwing the cups to the bin. "Come on" she smiled , helping me up.
"Max heel" I said , allowing him to walk by my side.
Plane 2a boarding now , to Sydney Australia.
The speaker called out so , me and Megan ran to catch up with our parents. We showed our passports and I had a special one for max so I showed his. The lady stopped me , talking to me ages about the dog.
"What's his name?" She asked. "Oh , he's called max " I smiled.
"If you don't mind me asking , what's his job"
"Erm ..." I was scared again cause I could feel the boy watching me from the plane door.
I tried to be confident as I felt max lick my hand.
"He's an mental illness detection dog"
"What's that" she blushed.
"Basically if I have an anxiety attack , he sits with me and brings me a person or my medication , and if I'm depressed and can't get a hold of myself he makes me feel better" I smiled. She smiled back , letting me board the plane.
"Hey , Iris is it?" The boy said , I froze dead in my tracks and nodded.
"Sorry your sister sent me for you , I'm Calum" he smiled.
"Hi" I said shakily. Luckily he didn't say anything.
People were staring and making dirty comments as we were walking down the plane. One man , hurt me "why does that bitch have to bring a four legged flea bag on here she doesn't have anything wrong with her" he snapped.
"Just cause you can't see somethings wrong with a person doesn't mean there isn't something up here , I suggest you shut up , cause you don't want to get on the wrong side of me" Megan smirked standing beside me. I smiled up at her and pulled max away. The hostess walked over taking our tickets from our hands. "Your on the back row of 7 seats. One arm Is down so the dog can lay next to you" she smiled. The boys behind us were getting the tickets checked. "Follow the girls" she smiled , oh shit no .
We walked to the end row. "Who's sitting where" I asked. The seat with the arm free was two away from the end. "We are all split up , I'm sorry I'll ask her to move it" Megan said , turning round. "It's okay , we don't mind" a blonde one said. We smiled. I took my seat with max. He was staring at me. "Max up" I said. He pulled himself onto the seat. I gave him his bunny and he sat there chewing it.
I waited and on my left sat a curly haired boy , who had his passport open and I discovered was called Ashton Irwin. Next to him sat the boy who's saved me , still didn't know his name and Megan sat next to him. On my right , the blonde boy sat and next to him on the end sat Calum. I felt really nervous but found the order switching as Megan sat next to me and Michael on her left.
I felt at ease and I slid my jacket off. "We should introduce ourselves , we are 5 seconds of summer , my names Ashton , that's Michael , that's Luke and him , his name is Calum" ash winked. " hi I'm Megan , and this is my sister Iris" she smiled.
"How come you guys are heading to Australia" Luke asked me. "We're moving here" I smiled. "Awesome" he added
"Your dog scares me" Calum laughed, I giggled , I didn't smile often but he was cute. As I was smiling , his lips glazed over and he smirked. "What?" I blushed. "You have a really cute laugh and smile" he chuckled , blushing. "I ...thank you" I smiled.
"He's not scary he's a big fur ball" I giggled stroking him. "Can I stroke him" Luke asked. I nodded. The blonde , lip pierced teen began stroking Max's fur and usually max doesn't like new people , unless they're a friend of mine I've known years but he liked these boys , maybe cause Michael had saved my life earlier. I don't know what it was. " how longs he had that little bunny" Luke asked, "since he was 6weeks old" I smiled , remembering the first time my mum had taken me to see the little rascal in his training and I had to chose who I wanted out of like 49 puppy's but max ran straight over and began licking my hand, and wagging his tail. He was so happy and I needed that.
"He's so cute" Calum smiled. Max looked up , dropping his toys and licking my face. He reached in the bag pulling out my daily anxiety tablets. "Good dog" I scrubbed his head , handing him a treat. I turned to Megan , asking for her bottle before swallowing the small pills. I didn't turn round cause I heard my name in there conversation. "You like her dude" Luke was whispering
"Shh" Calum hushed him.
"Likes a strong word , I've just met her , but I'd like to get to know her , I just don't know how"
"Hey cal stand up a second" Luke asked
Calum stood up , confused and Luke jumped in his seat , leaving the seat next to max and me free.
Calum blushed sitting down , Ashton and Michael smirking at him. He took his phone and began trying something. I pretended I was resting my head next to Max's but I was reading his texts .... Stalker alert ... I know I'm sorry.
Hey mikey ! Can you tell me as much as you know about Iris and why she has max and what then mental illnesses cause please dude I pray X

Mikey < sure dude. Well she clearly suffers from depression and anxiety and panic attacks
From what Megan has told me , she's 17 ish , she's single.
She has max for her mental illnesses , he alerts her when her medication is needed or due and he's a friend in need all the time , to prevent these happening to often ... If no one is with her and max isn't here , she can go into a coma ... She did once when she was 7 and didn't wake up for 4 months ... That's all I know ask Megan here's her number 099876543567

Calum ( Thanks mate.

He sent Megan a text.

Calum to Megan < Hey Megan it's Calum , sat across from you , don't kill me but I kinda like your sister , can you tell me what kind of stuff she likes maybe ... How I could get her to go on a date with me when we get to Sydney ;(

Megan to Calum > Oh hey Calum !! Erm sure , I have a perfect idea but I think she's sat reading your texts the little cutie :)

Calum looked down from his phone and I slammed my head into Max's fur , hiding.
"Your adorable" he chuckled.
We all began group talking , exchanging numbers and creating a group chat. We added one another in Facebook. I found out everything about them and Megan told them funny story's Of us growing up.
We got to know eachother really , well . This was a 24 hour flight and we'd only done 3 or 4 ... Ergh. They'd all asked us to be their best friends. I like them and of course we agreed.
"Calum?" I asked. "Yeah" he yawned, "I'm going to the stall at the front is there anything you need" I was whispering because max was snoring , fast asleep.
"I'll come with you" he smiled.
We stood up , careful not to wake max. "Does anyone want anything??" I asked.
"Pepsi please" Megan asked,
"Crisps , water " Luke asked,
"Me and ash will have a beer , and a choccy bar" mikey smiled And I nodded.
Megan watched me , proud as I took my first trip without ash by my side but the dog isn't stupid. He barked , running after me and jumping into my arms. I smiled.
"Your dog is remarkable" a lady said in the row next to me.
"Isn't he just" Calum smiled. I thanked them and we went and told the woman what we wanted. She gave it us all . "Here , here's a complimentary bottle of water for the dog , he's amazing" she smiled. I thanked her and made max Carry his bottle of water. He also carried Luke's crisp , delivering them to him. Before returning to his seat.
I stood up and reached for the back pack on the top , luggage hold. I didn't notice till , a cold hand touched my waist but my hoodie was pulled up and the bottom of my stomach was showing. I had scars there, self harm scars. I gasped pulling it down. "It's okay nobody saw them" Megan smiled. Calum's hand was perched on my waist inches away from feeling the range of scars lined along my stomach. He handed me the bag and I smiled. Had Calum seen them ? Please , God no my day couldn't get any worse. I decided to text him but found I had a message from him
Calum to Iris < I saw. Why?
Iris to Calum -> I didn't have max and no body was home , I had a depressant attack and it just happened , I was trying to get rid of the fat.
Calum to Iris > but your beautiful.
Iris - to Calum > I'm not.
Calum to Iris > Come here.

He placed his phone in his pocket and I slid closer. I didn't really know what was going on but I rested my head on his shoulder , snuggling into the crook of his neck as he was slanted down in the seat. Max climbed onto his lap and lay down , half on me , his head on top of my hands and his back on Calum.
It was adorable really.
He smelt so good. You know like in the movies when you want to breathe in their scent forever , and never let go ... Yeah it was like that.
He lifted his chin and rested it on my head , I felt something so new. Something I felt when I first got max , something I didn't even feel with my family ... I felt safe , wanted almost loved.
"They're adorable" Luke whispered to Megan. "I hope he treats her right" she sighed.
"He will , he won't break her , I've told him what she suffers from , and I'll tell him how to treat her , and you have to show him what to do if she needs help" Michael explained.
"I promise he won't hurt her" Luke smiled.
I didn't fall asleep , I couldn't I was too taken over by the fact I was snuggled with the boy I was slowly falling in love with.
"Your not sleeping are you" Calum asked , his eyes opening slowly. I shook my head. I sat up , disturbing max. "I'm sorry boy" I sighed stroking his head. He began whining , I knew what he wanted. "He needs a wee" I said , stroking his cute little face. "I'll take him" Ashton piped up. I nodded and Ashton asked max to follow him.