Chapter 17: Don't say Goodbye

Adam's POV:
I swing the bathroom door open and run after Lucy trying to catch up to her. I see people staring at me running cross the dance floor and all the tables but I don't care. All I see is Lucy running towards the exit.
"WAIT!" I shout behind her.
I run outside in the cold and bitter night, my tears freezing on my skin, face is cold but my heart is burning.
I grab my head with both hands and take a deep breath as I stop and look into the darkness.
I take my phone out and as my hands are shaking I dial Lucy's number.
She doesn't answer. Didn't think she would.... I keep trying.
"What happened? Where'd she go?" Anna asks as she runs behind me.
I look at her in despise and start walking to my car.

I sit inside for a while, watching Anna's shadow disappear as she walks inside the restaurant.
I close my eyes and throw my head backwards.
I'm so stupid.

I drive to Lucy's house.
As I'm driving I replay everything in my mind again and again and again.... Thinking of what I'd say to her when I see her. All the lights outside and all the Christmas and New Years decorations become a blur.
I finally park in front of Lucy's house. The lights are on. She must be home.
I walk to the front door and knock but no one answers.
I keep banging on the door until it finally swings open.
I see Lucy looking at me, her eyes red with tears and messy hair.
"What do you want?" She looks at me in despise.
"It's not that. She... I'll tell you everything."
"I don't wanna hear it" she try's to slam the door shut but I stop it.
"Just five minutes please, I'll tell you everything...." I beg her
"I know. You have fallen in love with your ex. Nothing unusual. Don't waste my time. I understand." She says quietly and closes the door.
"No. Wait... It's something else. I don't love her..." I look at her waiting for her response.
She looks at me like she doesn't know what to do but finally let's me inside.
"You have 5 minutes" she tells me
*************************************

"Anna.... I dated her before I came here. I mean, years ago. About a year ago or more..." I begin to explain. "I loved her but she cheated on me and I left... I lost all contact with her... But on Christmas, she came back. She found me here somehow. On Christmas was when I first saw her in so long."
I look at Lucy as she stares at me in interest.
"I didn't wanna see her. I was shocked to see her but she said she had found me via all the media."
"Ok. How does that explain the bathroom scene?" Lucy interrupts
"Wait. There's more. She said... When she visited that night, she told me... " I pause because I just can't seem to be able to say the words just right.
"She said I have a son"
Lucy's eyes open wide and she stares at me in shock.
"What?" She immediately begins to sob.
I gulp in fear of what she would do.
*************************************

"You're joking..."
"I'm not."
"How is it possible?!" She asks me almost yelling.
"I don't think its my son! It could be her lovers' but she claims it's mine" I shout back .
"WHY WOULD SHE BE LYING?!" Lucy picks up a glass a throws it at me. I kneel down and cover my head with my hands.
"I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT IS WRONG WITY YOU?" I shout at her.
She sits down on floor and buries her face in her hands and begins to cry. I go up to her and kneel down, holding her.
"I'm sorry..."
"I can't believe this is happening..." She sobs.
"I'm sorry.."
"Why didn't you tell me?!" She cried out in the most desperate way.
"I was afraid of this right now. I want to be with you and I didn't wanna hurt you. I was stuck. I didn't know what to do." I tell her holding back my tears.

I lean in ti kiss her hoping she'd allow but all she says is please leave.

I die inside.

I walk to the front door but before I open it I hear her say
"You should be with her. It's the best for both of you."
I close my eyes.
"But I love you."
She sits in silence after hearing my words and looks at me.
".....goodbye Adam."

I walk to my car, barely making it inside when my phone rings.
It's Anna. I pick up.
"Are you ok?" She asks
"It's over. You happy?" I reply in an angry voice
"It was for good...." She says sounding careless.
"I don't wanna see you bitch..." I raise my voice.
"Not my fault that you left me before"
"YOU! ...whatever..." I hold back my anger and hang up.

2 days later...
I take a drink from my whiskey and lean my head backwards on the couch. Been sitting here for a few hours now. I scratch my unshaved chin and take another drink.
I close my eyes, completely absorbed in the pain in my chest, hurts every time I breathe.

Knock knock!
I hear someone at the door but I don't even try to to get up.
"Adam open up!" I hear someone shouting.
"Come in." I mumble.
The door swings open and Anna comes inside with the groceries and Daniel.
She places them on the kitchen table and sits beside me.
"Have you been drinking again?"
"Just a little bit..." I reply
She places her head on my chest and says
"We have to make this work..."
"I won't ever love you. I'm doing this for our kid." I reply
Deep down I despise her but I had to accept her to live with me.
"When are we flying back to the USA?" She asks me
"Tomorrow. Go pack."
Anna goes in her bedroom and I take out Lucy's ring which she gave back to me.
I play with it for a while and put it back into my pocket.
"Goodbye Lucy" I whisper.
************************************

I make my steps in the airport with Anna and Daniel behind me. Seeing through my sunglasses are reporters and paparazzi.
I ignore them.
Where's your fiancé?
Is that your son?
How was your stay in London?
I hear them asking question after question but I just walk pass them.

We make it on the plane. I sleep the entire flight.

1 week later...
"My heart is a Ghost Town!" I sing as the lights go out. I breathe heavily, sweat running down my face.
Walking backstage followed by people I make it to my dressing room.
I sit in my chair and stare at myself in the mirror. I comb my hair backwards and adjust my shirt. This concert killed every drop of energy I had.
Everything is back to the way it was before.
Phone rings
"Yes?" I pick up
"When are you gonna come home?" Anna asks me
"I'm on tour. How are you?" I tell her.
"Good. We are waiting for you."
"I come home on Thursday."
"Ah. 5 more days. Ok baby I love you bye!" She giggles.
I roll my eyes and hang up.

I look at my phone and my recent calls. Lucy's number is still there. I dial it.
I keep dialing. I keep trying. No answer.
It's over. I can't believe how this ended. I stand up and look at myself again... I grind my teeth, suddenly I flip a table. My arms keep swinging left and right flipping things. I throw makeup and paper.
"Adam!" My manager walks in. He runs up to me and hands me a bottle of water as he helps me sit down.
"I need to see her."
"Your face is red! Take deep breaths come on.
I do as he says and soon I come back in place. It's alright.
I'm alright.