v. sleep?

v. sleep?

     "IT'S BEEN A long day, Rinn . . .  You should try and get some sleep," Denver said as he walked back into the room.  He'd left her alone so she could get some alone time and so he could pick up another pack of cigarettes.

She didn't respond to his words, she just looked around the room with sadness and exhaustion.  He didn't want to break her out of her thoughts, but he couldn't help it.  She looked so alone and he wanted her to know that he was there if she needed him . . . and although he wanted her to know this, he knew she probably wouldn't accept any more help that he was to offer for her.

"Rinn?"  He called out to her, causing her to snap back to the reality that she seemed to want to forget about and not acknowledge.

"What?"  She asked, looking at him.

"Did you hear what I said?"

"No," she whispered, looking away.

"I said you should try and get some sleep, okay?  It's been a long day," he repeated, looking around the room before his eyes landed back on her.  "I mean it, Rinn . . .  You need to sleep."

"Sleep?"  She asked, slightly surprised as she looked around the room, again, "Where am I supposed to sleep, Denver?"

"Well, you can sleep in the bed.  I have to run a few errands before I lay down.  I'll sleep on the pull out cot I keep in there," he said, gesturing to a small closet across the room from the bed.  "Otherwise, there's the couch."

Rinn frowned at this. She didn't want to be the reason he lost his bed; she didn't want to intrude on the place he called home.  Sighing, she shook her head and looked up at him slowly.

"I can sleep on the cot, Denver," she spoke softly, offering up the only place that seemed remotely comfortable to sleep in.  He chuckled at her words and shook his head from side to side.

"I don't think so," he smiled at her.

"Denver, come o-"

He cut her off with a shake of his head, "I'll be back later and if you aren't in the bed, I'm going to put you there and stay up all night to make sure that's where you stay.  I won't sleep for another three days until you agree that you're going to sleep there from now on and not argue with everything I say.  Do you understand me, Rinn?"

"Yeah," she sighed, not wanting to agree with him, "I understand."

"Good . . . and now that that's cleared up, I have to go.  Why don't you make yourself at home while I'm out?  I'll see you in the morning, okay?"  He smiled at her as he spoke before leaving her in the room alone.

"Okay . . . "  She whispered, even though he was already gone.

When she heard the van that Shayne had been driving start up and leave, Rinn laid down on the bed, facing the ceiling.  Her mind started to wander; it was something she hated most about being alone.  Her thoughts ranged from the clouds to rain to being a parent to love she knew she would never have to Nathaniel to death . . .  Sometimes, it was a combination of all of those things.

Sighing, she stood and looked around the room.  It was still daylight, nearing sundown, so Rinn could still see her surroundings.  She headed out of Denver's room and into the hallway, taking another look around.

The hall was dark and it emitted fear inside of Rinn, but she pushed it off.  The ceiling was stained with water leaks and dead mold.  The windows weren't covered here, which made Rinn wonder why Denver had covered his.  The floors were creaking as she walked forward, giving her the chills with each thump of her foot.