xiv. gun run number one

     "GET UP," RINN said, kicking Jackson in the foot.  He had fallen asleep on the bar stool with his drink in his hand, which he managed to dump on the floor over the course of the night.

Rinn had been invited into his room last night by Denver, mostly because she had already been inside it.  Of course, Denver assumed it was for a different reason other than to comfort Jackson . . . but Rinn pushed it off.  She knew who she was; she didn't have to try and convince someone else when they didn't even want to listen.

Jackson groaned, lifting his head slowly.  His hand quickly flew to his next and he rubbed it, clearly in pain.  Rinn sighed, telling him to crack it.  When he did, he felt a pop which was audible to Rinn's ears.  It made her cringe inside, but she managed to keep her composure.

"I bet that felt good, Jacky boy," David stated through drowsiness as he got up off of the couch.  Jackson just shrugged, happy it helped with the pain before he headed into his room.  Rinn followed him, speaking in a soft tone while they made the short walk to his room.

"Why does everyone have a room here?"  She asked, causing him to take in a deep breath.

"Well, I should've guessed you were going to ask . . . "  Jackson mumbled, clearly not a morning person, "When you're in a gang, you tend to have rivals.  On the street, Mayhem is a feared word.  No one uses it because of how we enforce our given titles.  As a child of Mayhem, you learn the rules and you learn them fast . . . as does everyone else that wants to mess up your day."

"Is there anyone I should watch out for?"  She asked, again, as they headed into his bedroom.  Jackson smirked when they entered, causing her to shoot him an innocent look.

"I see you slept here," he chuckled.

"Yeah, yeah," she waved it off.  "Denver didn't want me sleeping at the bar, like you did . . . and he figured that since we're so close or whatever and you weren't sleeping in here, it wouldn't be a problem."

"Maybe I should fuck up his day," Jackson muttered, causing Rinn to sigh and ask, again.

"So, is there anyone I should watch out for?"

"You're a persistent little firecracker, aren't you?"  He half-heartily joked, causing her to shrug, "Well, I would watch my back pretty much all the time.  It doesn't matter who it is or what they look like.  They're probably going to want to kill you anyway, after you get your cut.  Even though we protect Fairview's population, we cause a lot of trouble for law enforcement."

"I'm surprised I haven't seen a cop around, yet," she said, throwing herself down on the bed and closing her eyes.  Jackson chuckled, heading into the bathroom he shared with Denver's room, which was on the other side of the wall.

"So, I'm going to shower.  Why don't you go and wake everyone else up?"  Jackson said, causing her to nod and stand.  She left the room and shut the door behind her, hollering out loud enough so he could hear her all the way back in the shower.

He took his time, enjoying the feel of the hot water on his skin.  It relaxed him and soothed his hangover; he hadn't drank like that in a couple weeks and he wasn't used to it, anymore.  Part of his problem was because of what Denver had said, which probably bothered Rinn more than it did Jackson.

Sighing, he stepped out of the shower and headed into his room.  He dressed slowly and let his short hair drip onto the ground while he lit a cigarette.  While he let it burn between his lips, he rubbed a towel through his hair.

Without putting his shirt on and just draping it over his shoulder, he headed out of his room and looked for Rylan.  He hadn't forgotten about her last night; she was asleep in Denver's bed for most of it . . . but he worried if she was upset over Mia or if she knew what was going on.