x. dropping doubles

x. dropping doubles

     SHE WAS SPRAWLED out on the bed, her green tea being held up on the bed with one hand and her open black book with page holders to keep it open in front of her.  Her write hand was furiously scratching into the paper as she wrote down all she could about the last couple days.  She described the beating with such accuracy and precision that she could almost feel her broken nose throbbing in pain.

"Rinn!"

The husky voice that called out her name pulled her from her writing and she quickly stood from the bed and strapped her book together.  She shoved it in her bag and quickly changed from the sweatshirt she borrowed, again, from Denver into a pair of leggings and a sweatshirt of her own.  She slipped on a pair of boots and headed down the steps, half expecting to see Denver at the bottom of the steps.

"We have a job to do," Jackson said to her, stopping her in her tracks and catching her off guard.  She didn't argue; she just nodded and followed him outside and to his motorcycle.

"What exactly is this job?"  She asked him as he slipped onto his motorcycle and patted the seat behind him.  When she sat on the back with him, she made sure she didn't touch her legs against his and sat as far back as possible, grabbing the seat after putting his helmet on her head.

"You'll see," he said as she looked in the mirror, watching as a smirk creased into his lips and he started the bike up.  He took off quickly as Rinn stared into the mirror, watching as Denver rushed out onto the porch just in time to see them go.

The drive was a long one that stretched out for over an hour, leading them into town and back out, again.  They drove through Fairview and started heading towards Rinn's hometown, making her slightly nervous.

"Keep your head down!"  Jackson yelled over the rumbling of the bike and she did as he said, tipping her head down and leaning it into his back.  She felt him chuckle but she didn't return it with anything other than a sigh.

They didn't stop for another half an hour after the got out of Fairview, which made Rinn slightly nervous.  She kept asking himself what she could possibly help him with that he knew she would agree to, but she couldn't come up with anything.

"Off," Jackson said when the bike stopped, causing her to obey his command.  He smiled at her when she handed him the helmet and ran a hand through her hair.  She watched as he started to walk away from the bike and into the wooded area near it, gesturing for her to follow him.

"You aren't going to kill me and cut me up with an axe, are you?"  She asked, causing him to smirk at her in a sideways glance.

"No . . .  I'm going to use a chainsaw," he chuckled.

"Oh, well, that's comforting," she muttered, causing him to sigh.

"Rinn, do you trust me?"  He asked and she shrugged, causing him to smirk, again, "I'm not going to hurt you.  The people that lie on the other side of these woods, however . . .  Well, to be honest, they just might.  So, stay close and don't speak.  You need to watch to learn."

"Alright," she said, nodding.

As they walked deeper into the woods, Rinn found herself shaking a little.  By the look on Jackson's face, which was no longer holding an amused smirk, she could tell the people he dealt with were bad news.  She didn't know what kind of bad news but she knew they had to either be involved with the gun running business or Jackson was mule-ing their drugs.

Either way, they were dangerous; Jackson had made that loud and clear.

Eventually, after what seemed like hours of walking due to the silence, they reached the edge of the forest.  There were three men standing in front of them, their backs turned on Jackson and Rinn.  No one else was in the forest, from what she could see, and she wondered to herself why he decided to bring her with him.