xxvi. empty conscience

     "IT'S ALMOST TIME to go, Rinn. Are you awake, yet?" Denver called up to Rinn, causing her to grunt and groan. Rolling over in the bed, she forced her body to respond to her demands as she stood. Stretching, she sighed and stripped her clothes off slowly.

After she was dressed and had her hair tied up, allowing her loop-ponytail to hang slightly over the back of her cut, she headed out of the room. As she hopped through the hallway, she zipped up her boots and rushed downstairs.

When she was at the bottom, she took a look around to see Jackson leaning against the left side of the entrance into the living room. Denver and Scotland were chatting idly by the front door and Cyanide was lounging on the couch, which made her sigh and kick the end of the couch.

"I'm sorry; I didn't mean to sleep in," she apologized to Jackson when she reached him, causing him to smirk in acceptance before they headed out of the house. She followed him out to her bike and threw her leg over the side quickly, situating herself before anyone else.

They drove off not long after, leaving the house in the rear view mirror. As they drove, Rinn found herself growing more tense. She knew what was going down; the only reason Denver, Scotland and Cyanide were involved was because Jackson knew they would need man power . . . and the only one's that could keep their heads on straight were those three.

Besides, Denver had filled them in this morning, when she was still asleep. He tried to wake her up at five thirty, six and six thirty, which is when she woke up and took a shower. It took until seven thirty for her to actually wake herself up and get out of bed for the second time this morning, which amused Denver for an unknown reason.

Pulling up to a stop sign, Rinn looked over at Jackson and yelled to him, "Why didn't you bring David instead of Scottie? Wouldn't that have been better, since he's a better shot?"

"That might be true," Jackson yelled back, looking over at her through a sideways glance. "Scotland gives us an advantage that David can't give us, though, since he's not involved in the main string of Mayhem."

As soon as he stopped talking, he took off. His quickened speed allowed Rinn to catch up to him easily, leaving Scotland, Cyanide and Denver behind them. They drove for awhile on the bend, not able to see the other three, before they came to the end of the road and stopped.

"Get off," Jackson demanded, causing Rinn to nod. "We're walking from here. I don't need him thinking we'll take off or something; it's a long trek."

It didn't take long for the other three to follow closely behind them, hopping off their bikes and walking about a yard behind them. Jackson looked over at her and frowned, causing her to shoot him a questioning look.

"Gayland is a bit . . . aggressive with females," Jackson attempted to explain. Even with his vague response, Rinn nodded in understanding. He was implying that Gayland was like Nathaniel and that didn't settle well with her.

"I can handle it," she muttered, causing him to smile apologetically at her and step a little further ahead of her thin frame. She didn't quicken her pace; he was leading them, like a pack of wild animals. He was their guide, their king, essentially.

"Are you sure? I don't want yo-"

"I can handle it!" She yelled at him. He took in a deep breathe and nodded, turning away from her, once again. They continued walking in silence, nearing closer and closer to the line of trees ahead of them.

"This won't be a replay of th-"

"I know," she interrupted.

The look on her face was one of irritation, vex and frustration. It was like she didn't know what to say to him at the moment; after last night and finding out what their supposed associate was doing behind their back, she hasn't been herself. All she felt was anger and there was no outlet. When she shot Ethan, everything seemed to die down a little inside her head.