vii. your opportunity

     "ARE YOU READY to do this, Rinn?  I mean . . .  I know you can't exactly back out or anything, but it's risky," Denver asked, concern etched in his voice as he watched her contemplate her choices, weigh each option she was presented with.  She didn't say anything for a moment before she rose her eyes to his and nodded slowly before speaking.

"I don't really have any other options," she whispered, turning to walk away from him.

"Rinn, wait!"  He called after her, rushing up to her before she passed the van.  She stopped in her tracks, not turning towards him while he spoke to her, "You need to make this go your way, okay?"

"And how do I do that?"  She asked, genuinely curious.

"Be firm; don't let anyone push you around.  Don't let them take control; you need to be the one in charge.  You have to be the one to take care of things.  Be the one to push them to go your way.  Make sure you don't show your fear or let them think they can have any kind of authority over you," he said, looking at her with worry.

"I'll be fine," she stated, nodding and taking in his advice.

"You'll be fine . . .  Yeah, I've heard that one before," he breathed out, running a hand through his hair.  She started to walk away from him then, not sure how to respond to his statement.  He watched her, wanting to tell her to stay and no get hurt . . . but instead, he sighed, calling out, again, "Good luck, Rinn . . . and be careful."

He watched her go, wanting to tell her to stay behind so he could do the job for her.  Unfortunately, he knew that wasn't an option.  Jackson wanted it done and he was having Rinn execute the plan all by lonesome.

Most of it, at least.

Sighing, he turned around and glared at his superior, wanting to speak but finding himself tongue tied.  He didn't agree with the plan from the start; originally, it was supposed to be Siren that went in to do it alone, mostly because she had the experience . . . but the reason she didn't do it was because she had a big mouth that she didn't know how to keep closed.

In more way than one.

Jackson had wanted Denver to stay back at the house, but instead, he lost the argument.  Denver had wanted to keep an eye on his leader, for Rinn's sake more than anything.  Jackson could tell there was something off about her and everyone but Denver was acknowledging that fact.

So, instead of Denver staying alone, he came along and left the prospects to watch the house.  It didn't come as a surprise to David or Cain but it was a shock to Jackson when Denver suggested it.  There was an argument, then the blow out and finally, Rinn had put her foot down.

She demanded they just work shit out, otherwise she would blow the entire plan to smithereens in a matter of seconds.  Her threat had frightened Jackson more than anything but he wasn't willing to admit that to anyone, especially Denver.

Jackson just smirked at him, turning to watch as Rinn walked up to the building he was sending her into.  He knew the things that happened in those walls; he knew the people that got hurt and the ones that didn't . . . and he was banking on Rinn being strong enough to protect herself if things went astray.

As she stepped in through the door way, panic struck her.  The space in front of her was pitch black; she couldn't see a thing and fear was etched into her features.  Something about the plan didn't seem right . . .  Something about the plan was off and it made her stomach churn in knots.

She slowly walked around the room, letting her eyes adjust the the lack of light.  She could practically feel her pupils expanding, trying to catch any source of light possible.  Eventually, her eyes adjusted to the room in front of her and she could see, but only slightly.  Her vision wasn't clear but it was easier to see through the darkness.