iii. toughen up

iii. toughen up

     "WELL, GOOD MORNING, sleepy head," Denver said as Rinn stood.  She waved in his direction, her face set in a tired expression.  He smiled as she headed over to the bathroom and shutting the door.  He turned his face back to the window, which was open, letting in the fresh air and the smell of morning dew. It was around seven in the morning and he'd been waiting for a call from his friend.

Just then, the room phone rang.  Standing, he smoothed out his pants and took his time walking over to the phone.  When he made it to the phone, he picked it up and slowly placed it next to his ear.  His friend was saying hello, which caused Denver to smirk deeply.  He knew if his friend was aggravated, he would drive faster on his way here, making the wait for his ride to be a short one.

"Good morning," he said for the second time.

"It's about goddamn time you answer me," his friend spat out, grumbling about something else while Denver laughd to himself.  "What took you so goddamn long, anyway?  What the fuck were you doing that it took you two minutes to reach the phone?"

"I was walking across the room," Denver said, shrugging.  As he spoke, the bathroom door opened and Rinn walked out, stretching.  When she dropped her hands to her sides, they slapped against her tighs, making Denver look at her and smile.  She nodded at him, keeping quiet because he was on the phone with someone.

"Denver, are you alone?"

"I might be," Denver said, still watching Rinn as she crawled onto her bed and smashed her face into the pillow, letting her eyes close.  He smirked, fighting back a small chuckle as he listened to his friend's voice.

"Is it a girl?"  He asked.

"It might be," Denver smiled wider as he spoke, slightly amused with how irritated his friend was growing to be.  It always seemed to entertain Denver when people got pissed off or upset; they always let him get to them too easily and too quickly.  It just made things more fun when they were easily irritated.

"Would you cut the shit, Denver?"  He snapped out.

"I think you should learn to calm down, Shayne," Denver laughed a little, still watching Rinn as she lougned on her bed.  A deep feeling of satisfaction marked his mood as he listened to how irritated his friend was because of the way Denver was wording his responses.  He always made it too easy to mess with him.

"Whatever," Shayne snapped, again.

"Have you talked to Roman today?"  Denver asked, suddenly serious as he looked away from Rinn and to the pill bottles lined on the table in front of him.  Last night, he counted each bottle to make sure there were at least thirty pills in them.  As he sat down in the chair and started at Rinn's brother's name, he listened to Shayne talk.

"No, but I did last night.  He said he'd come with if he could, but he can't . . .  So he's sending Siren with.  Hopefully she can keep herself quiet with her music," Shayne sounded irritated; he never seemed to get along with Siren.  They were almost exactly the same, minus their gender.  They were both loud, obnoxious, loved to party and loved to sleep with one another.  Despite not being in a relationship with one another, they always managed to act it.

Everyone knew they belonged to one another.

"Are there going to be any extra seats?"  He asked, taking a glance in Rinn's direction.  She was sound asleep, again, which made him shake his head and look away.  She'd slept soundly for most of the night, but other parts she would call out for someone or something to stop or she would say no.  Every time Denver heard her talk, he told her everything was okay and that he was there . . . and she stopped.