xxxvii. scuffle with a rapist

     TURNING SLOWLY AROUND, Rinn swallowed hard and forced her body to relax as much as possible visibly.  As she took in the hurt and astonished look on his face, she made sure she didn't move as he walked around her slowly. 

"What are you doing here?"  She asked, her voice sounding weaker and cracking more than she ever wanted it to.  He didn't say anything for a moment, and she knew that was bad for her.  His silence had only brought her pain in the past. 

"You got a tattoo, too," he muttered, slightly disgusted. 

"Nathaniel, you need to leave," she said, trying to ignore the fact that she was standing shirtless in front of her brother.  For a moment, the creaking and the heavy sounding footsteps stopped, causing her to close her eyes for briefly. 

Then she felt his hands on the sides of her ribs. 

They were cold, larger than she remembered.  Her body instantly tensed, again, and she made no move to hide the unhappiness his touch brought her.  She knew she shouldn't be afraid of him, but how could she not be?

"How could you leave us?"  He whispered, pressing his chest to her back and laying his head on her shoulder.  She immediately took three steps forward, spun around and let her eyes open widely as the cigarette fell out of her mouth. 

"Don't touch me, Nathaniel.  You aren't allowed to hurt me, anymore," she snapped, her tone now one of anger.  She was stronger than she expected herself to be at this moment and she didn't know what to make of it.  She never thought she was going to have to see him, again . . . but he was here; he was standing in front of her after nearly six months of not having to see him and be reminded of what he'd done to her. 

"Rinny, you know I don't want to hurt you," he spoke softly, as if he was soothing a wild animal. 

"That's exactly what you intend to do.  You've always wanted that; I was just some girl to you.  You never wanted to protect me or keep me safe . . .  I didn't run away; I'm a legal adult.  I just left because I couldn't stand to see your disgusting face, anymore," she yelled out, causing the look of pain on his face to accelerate into anger. 

They stayed still in front of one another for the longest time before he suddenly rushed at her.  She followed her instincts and ducked to the left of where he was running, picking up the cigarette from the ground as she moved.  His body collided into the wall and he groaned, but the hit didn't deter him from rushing at her, again. 

As he did this, Rinn brought the cigarette to his face and burned the space between his temple and his eyebrow, on the right side of his head.  While the cigarette burned through the top few layers of his skin, he yelled out in a scream and grabbed her hair.  Falling to the ground, he slammed her face into the hardwood floor and dropped her head from his grasp.  Gasping in pain, Rinn slowly began to crawl away from him, reaching behind her back for her gun. 

Just as her fingers tightened around the handle, he slammed his body down on top of her, throwing them both back to the ground.  Before she had the chance to react, he had the gun in his grasp and stood up quickly, pointing it shakily at her.  She stood with him, backing up a few feet before looking up and grimacing. 

"Do you really think having a gun pointed at me is going to scare me, Nathaniel?"  She asked, breathing heavily as she stood straight.  Her hands fell to her sides and she watched him, an unsure expression crossing over his face. 

"You should still be home," he yelled out, waving the gun around as he watched her.  "You shouldn't have left me!  I loved you!  I only wanted what was right for you and me!  I know you don't hate me for what happened!  You told me you wanted it, Rinn!"