xxvii. favors from foreigners

     "KIDS," SHE STATED as she headed over to where Jackson was sitting in front of the bonfire. Everyone from the club was at Denver's tonight, as a celebration for the guns they'd taken from Gayland without paying. It was the sort of thing that got everyone excited; free guns means instant profit off of any sale, which meant more money for them and less money for bills and the warehouse rebuild.

"What?" He asked, confused as she handed him a beer bottle. Sitting down next to him, she opened hers and took a long swig of it. Then, she looked over at Denver and let her eyes rest on him for a moment before turning her head back to Jackson.

"Kids," she repeated, "You asked what was on my mind that wasn't always so violent . . . and I figured it out. I want kids."

"You want kids," he said, letting it roll over his tongue as he tasted the words. It was strange to hear from her, since he didn't think she would ever consider having sex in her life . . . but no matter how odd it was, it was still comforting to know she hadn't given up on everyone.

"That's . . . I don't know, it's interesting," Jackson murmured, causing her to nod and turn back to watch Denver. He was laughing, bellowing out his happiness with the deep sound of his joyous chuckle. Before long, he was over to a table with Alex and arm wrestling him.

"With Denver?" Jackson asked, catching her attention and pulling her focus back over to him, "Do you want kids with Denver?"

"I don't know," she muttered. "I mean . . . He's a nice guy but I don't . . . I don't know what I feel for him, to be honest with you. I don't know if it's just a strong friendship or if it falls under the brotherhood or if it's more than that."

He smirked, "It's more than that; it's much more than that."

Then, he stood and headed over to Denver. They talked for awhile as Rinn watched before Jackson nodded, said his goodbyes and took off on his bike to go see Rylan. He's been making it there almost every night, now, because he never used to spend time with her when Mia was around.

Sighing, Rinn stood and headed through the front door and up to Denver's room. Before long, she was laying in bed, using Denver's sweatshirt as a blanket because hers was in the wash, fast asleep.

"Rinn?" She heard, jolting her awake, "Good morning, beautiful."

"Morning," she groggily grumbled back to Denver, who chuckled at her rude awakening. She didn't say anything for the longest time as she laid in bed, watching him while he sat close to her bent legs and rested one hand on her ankle.

Then, she spoke softly, in an almost inaudible whisper he was lucky to hear, "Can I ask you a question?"

"Yeah," he smirk gently at her, "I supposed so."

"Is this all there is?" She asked, prompting him to ask what she meant. Sighing, she looked up at the ceiling and frowned deeper, not knowing if she should have asked. Speaking slowly, she attempted to clear up her question, "I mean this life . . . Is Jim Crow or Mayhem or whatever all there is for you? For me?"

"I . . . I don't know," he slightly mumbled, hesitating in his words. "Why? Is there some place else you envisioned your life at this point? Is there something else you want to do?"

"No . . . I don't know," she shook her head into the pillow, looking over at him and then down at his hand resting on her ankle. He gently squeezed, letting her know that he questioned the same things sometimes and that it was okay.

"If you ever do . . . I can help you, okay?" He reassured her, causing her to nod, "Whatever you want, where ever you want, I can help . . . Just let me know if you need an exit strategy, okay?"