vi. new day, new life

     "IT'S NICE OUT this morning, isn't it?"  Denver said as he entered the kitchen, watching as Rinn stirred sugar into her coffee cup.  He peaked over her shoulder to see she was drinking tea, making him smile in amusement.

"Green tea in the morning, huh?"  He asked, smirking at her as she looked over at him, taking a sip from the cup.  She nodded slowly, eyeing him as she lowered the mug from her face.

"Does it matter what I drink in the morning?"  She asked, slightly annoyed this morning.  For some reason, what Jackson had said about her yesterday was still on her mind and it was bothering her more than she thought it would.

"Actually, yes," he smiled, grabbing out an energy drink from the fridge.  She watched as he popped it open and chugged it down, making her eyebrows furrow together in confusion.

"I don't drink tea and we're out of coffee," he shrugged, taking another chug of the energy drink.

"Well, why does it matter that I drink tea instead of coffee?"  She asked, trying to figure out his reasoning behind his odd thoughts.  He just smirked at her for a moment before realizing she hadn't slept much during the night.  Sighing, he swallowed down the last gulp of his energy drink before stretching.  Then, he motioned over to the table and she took a seat.

Finally, after he sat down in his own chair, he spoke, "What you drink in the morning says a lot about you, Rinn, whether you believe so or not.  You're not an uptight person usually.  You don't rely on caffeine to pick you back up.  You're more . . . laid back.  You go with the flow, you know?"

"How do you know that?"  She asked, more amused and less irritated than she had been with him before.  He smirked widely, seeing the interest dancing through her eyes as he spoke with her.

"In the motel, you weren't quick to change into my sweatshirt, because you were okay with wearing damp clothes . . . because you improvise and accept things you can't change," he explained, watching her face while he spoke.  It was interesting to see her expressions change; he wanted to try and make her smile, because he'd never seen it before and he wondered about how different she would look without the constant grimace on her face. 

"Wow," she said, raising her eyebrows.  "That's a lot to read of a person by just a sweatshirt . . .  Are you sure you're right on that conclusion?"

"You know . . .  You're funny," he said, standing.

Shaking her head, she took another drink of her tea and looked around the kitchen.  The paint on the walls wasn't peeling and remained solid, unlike every other room in the house and it wasn't too stained, like it was upstairs in the hall and in Denver's bedroom.  As her eyes glided over the paint, they landed on him and she watched as he started to leave the kitchen.

"Denver?"  She called after him, standing and setting her mug of tea down on the table in front of her.  He stopped where he was, waiting until she caught up with him before he left through the doorway.

"What do you need?"  He asked as they walked out to a garage placed nearly twenty yards away from the house.  There was a cobblestone walkway that lead to it, two solar yard lights placed at either side of the garage door.

"I wanted to ask you something," she said quickly.

"Well, fire away, then," he stated, sounding excited to hear what she wanted to know.  He knew it couldn't have been too important; she seemed like the kind of girl that had deep conversations at twelve at night instead of at eight in the morning, after a cup of tea.

"Why do you stay here?"  She asked, gesturing towards the house as she spoke, "I mean . . .  It's falling apart.  It's shabby and there aren't any windows.  Does the plumping in the bathroom even work?"