xxxvi. unexpected guest

     OVER THE NEXT few weeks, Rinn attended to Denver's every need while he healed.  His face scarred from the cuts on his lips; other scars were from the gash running down his neck, to his collarbone and the deep puncture wound in his thigh, from the knife.  The cut above his eye also scarred, as well as the gunshot wound.  He hadn't lost too much skin from it, so it covered itself over and grew back naturally after Brandi had it stitched together. 

Her free time, when she wasn't caring for Denver, was taken up by spending time with Jackson.  They discussed revenge for what happened to Denver and other times, they talked about how Rylan was doing.  Jackson voiced his thoughts on how he felt about Mia leaving them alone, until Cain's name was brought into the conversation.  Then, he would bottle himself up, letting the only emotion show on his face be anger or sadness. 

"What can you tell me about Thomas Helter?"  She asked him as she sat down next to him at the bar, David handing her a drink as she lit up her cigarette and took a deep drag from it.  Jackson threw her an interested glance, making her realize that he hadn't known she knew about the First Five members to the club. 

"So, who told you about him?"

"Well, first it was Denver and then David told me a little more," she said, causing him to raise his hands in the air defensively as Jackson shot him a glare.  For a moment, she was confused . . . and then she realized that the club's history was supposed to be dead. 

"Aye, Jacky boy . . .  Denny had already told her his name and his relationship with the club.  How else was she supposed to know about them?  I know ye don't like talking about him, but ye need to get some of ye anger off ye chest," he said, causing Jackson to look back over to Rinn.  For a little while longer, they were silent . . . and then Rylan came rushing over to him, hopping up and into his lap. 

"Daddy, daddy!  Guess what?"  She was beaming a smile up at him, bouncing impatiently in his lap as he watched her delicate face, which mirrored Mia's woman-like features more and more, every single day. 

"What's that, pumpkin?" 

She was still smiling as she spoke, "Cain called and he said he wanted to talk to you.  He said it was important; grown up stuff.  Does it have to do with the club?  Isn't that what people call you, daddy?  You guys and Rinn are all a club?"

Jackson immediately looked up at Rinn after he heard what his daughter said.  She knew Rylan was the only thing keeping him calm and she nodded, standing.  Rylan looked over at her questioningly, prompting her to say, "I got it."

"Thanks," Jackson muttered before turning his gaze back down to Rylan.  As Rinn headed out of the bar, she saw Rylan pulling her father over to the pool table.  They began a game of pool as she left through the door, shooting him a mutually understood glance.  Then, she made her way to the office space connected to the garage.  

Once there, she shut the door all the way and drew down the curtains.  Jackson was the only one that wanted to know about the conversation . . . but she didn't know if someone else was going to listen in.  The room wasn't sound proof, but the walls were thick enough that anyone listening wouldn't be able to hear much of the conversation, unless they used the cup trick or tapped into the conversation with a wire. 

Picking up the phone, she placed it next to her ear and spoke, "Why are you calling?"

"I figured it would be you to answer the phone.  Jackson is too much of a coward to talk to anyone that takes away someone he loves," Cain laughed a little as he spoke, his cocky smile evident in his tone.