xiii. garage crowbar

     "ALRIGHT . . .  LET'S TALK, then," Rinn said, turning towards him and resting her drink on her knee.  He smirked, nodding towards her drink, which made her shrug.  It was her fourth of the night and they had only been her for two hours.

"You're going to kill your liver," he half-heartedly joked.

"Oh and you aren't?"  She asked, nodding gesturing towards his.  He chuckle, taking another drink of his own and shrugging, causing her to shake her head and turn her chair around completely, so she was facing the pool table.

"I've already killed my liver," he chuckled.

"Now," she said, looking at him for a moment, "This is no laughing matter, Jackson.  This is some serious business and I don't think it's very funny to joke about killing things."

He gave her a sarcastic glare, which made her turn her head back to the pool table out of amusement while he spoke in a low tone to her, "You know I didn't tell anyone about that.  I understand, Rinn . . .  It was your first time.  It'll get easier."

"That's what I'm afraid of," she whispered, all the humor wiped away from the conversation.  She saw him nod out of the corner of her eye and she sighed, not sure how to start the conversation about the club name.

"Anyway, I'm not here to talk about that . . .  That's another conversation for a more private place," he stated, leaning back and smirking, again.  "The story about the garage name, huh?  Why are you so interested in that?"

"I just think it'll be interesting to hear . . . and it'll give me more knowledge about the club," she shrugged, taking a sip of her drink.  Jackson sighed, nodding and watching Denver awhile before delving into the story.

"Jim was a bit of a self-centered man.  Everyone looked up to him and just about everyone that met him, loved him, but that doesn't change the fact that he was conceited and arrogant," Jackson said, looking over at her and smirking.

"I try my best to not be like him but sometimes, it's hard.  Once you have the president's patch," he patted his chest, right over the small, sewed on marking, "It can get to your head.  I'm not sure if that's what happened to Jim or if he was always conceited in what he did."

"Why do you sometimes have to be?"  Rinn asked, wanting to know as much about the position as possible.  For all she knew, one day, she might be sitting where he is and she knew she wanted to make him proud, in the event she was.  She didn't want to let him down; he was giving her a huge opportunity, both in business and in her personal life.

She wouldn't want to disappoint him.

"You have so much competition when you have the patch.  It's like a little mark on your body and it's permanent.  That's why we get our tattoos, which I do have to set you up with Cyanide for yours," he muttered the last part, chewing on the straw of his glass for a moment before taking a sip.  Sighing, he pulled it away from his lips and smirked at her.

"I hope you aren't afraid of needles," he chuckled.

"I just don't like being touched," she whispered, causing him to frown and continue.

"So, anyway . . .  That was just how Jim was.  Maybe the patch changed him from a loving family man because his wife left him and his daughter sold herself because he wasn't in the picture.  I really don't know what his problem was, but he raised me just fine," Jackson explained, changing the topic and allowing her to focus on the club instead of her personal life and past.

"He had a lot of reasons for naming the garage after a crowbar.  He had a lot of stories he could tell that involved said reasons . . . but one of them really stuck with him and it made him somewhat of a better person," he said, looking down into his drink and taking in a deep breath.