Chapter One: Frozen In Shock

It's a cold December morning and I have to wake up - I left my window open last night and there was a cold chill coming in. It was almost Christmas - it was just about three weeks away, outside there was a blanket of snow already covering every inch of land.

I get up and close my window, then walk over to my mirror and stare at myself. I was starting to gain a bit of weight - I always eat so much over the holidays. My hazel eyes were surrounded by bags which were slowly fading and my brown hair was in a curly mess.

"Jen, breakfast is ready!" My mother shouts from downstairs.

"Coming," I reply. I was not excited for that, I love my mom, Beverley - and all but she was not a very good cook. Baking on the other hand - she is a master at - weird. She has long brown and wavy hair, crystal blue eyes and a bright smile that made everyone feel like family. She is an environmentalist but she also volunteers in an animal shelter which is why we have five weird, but cute pets.

So there's a one eyed hamster named Loki. A three legged dog called Max, we have two very lazy cats one is named Ginger and the other is Snow and my favourite, a deaf little dog I named Tigger - after that tiger in the Winnie the Pooh show I watched when I was younger. It was difficult to communicate with him, but him and I have a special connection that doesn't involve any words being shared. But we also trained him to understand sign language- well a professional trained him.

My dad is the total opposite of my mom, he even has an average name - Bob. He is a hard core lawyer and is very serious most of the time - except for when my mom is around. I got my hazel eyes from him and my curly brown hair but he buzz cuts his to look more serious in court I guess.

I also have an older brother - Drake, he is only a year older than me and brags about it all the time. He has my mother's brown hair and crystal blue eyes, along with her warm smile. He is pretty much the spitting image of my mom - but in boy form.

"Pass me the sugar," Drake my irritating older brother says.

"No ask nicely," I reply.

"Fine, may I please have the sugar Jen?" He asks with a sweet fake smile.

"Mmm... no, you have legs get it yourself."

"Why do you always have to be so annoying?" Drake asks me.

"I get it from you Dweeb." I shot getting irritated.

"Slut."

"Manwhore!" I shout.

"Guys stop it, please!" Mom shouts above both of us.

"Sorry," we say in unison. That is pretty much our morning routine. I'm not going to lie, I do love Drake and I know he loves me too, DEEP down inside there. Neither of us would dare to admit it though. Plus I feel like us being mean to eachother is our way of saying each and every single day - I love you.

~*~

"Hey Jen."

"Hey Erik," I reply into the phone. Erik is my amazing dirty blond haired blue eyed boyfriend whom I happen to love with all my heart. "Whats up?"

"I was wondering if I could see you today?" He asked sounding off a bit.

"Sure babe, when and where?" I ask excited to be seeing him today.

"I think the pier at about three or something."

"Okay sounds great," I reply.

"I'll see you there then, bye."

"Love you," I said, but he hung up quickly without even saying he loved me back. He has been doing that a lot lately - maybe something was up? I hope it isn't what I think it is. But then again I doubt it - we've been together for almost a year and this is our first Christmas together.