Chapter Twenty: Stay With Me

The cold white walls were so gloomy. The droning of the machines keeping people alive was depressing me even more than I had been. Yesterday when I had finished reading Jakes letter and gone out of the bathroom I found Chad on the floor unconscious. I ran over quickly not knowing what to do and checked that he was still breathing - I called Kamva and he helped me call an ambulance.

The doctors told me that I shouldn't worry, he just had a mini heart attack. Apparently he has a serious heart condition and it's very common for someone of his condition to experience occasional 'mini attacks' as the doctor put it. But they told me thst South Africa was one of the first places to ever actually successfully do a heart transplant so he was in good hands - if it came to that.

Kamva was sitting near me in the hospital, he had called the O'Brians to inform them of Chad's state. They were on the first flight to South Africa and would be landing later on today.

So many terrible thoughts were buzzing through my mind and I couldn't control the way my heart ached for him. But luckily my phone rang and I saw that I had a message - perfect distraction.

Erik ~ Hey Jen, I heard that Chad is in the hospital. Are you okay?

Me ~ Yeah I'm fine it's him your concern should be on.

Erik ~ I know but I meant emotionally, I know how much you care for people and seeing him like this must be really difficult for you.

Me ~ Yeah it is but I'm holding up okay I guess, I mean I could be better but right now I just really hope he gets better.

Erik ~ I know, I think he'll pull through though, he looks like a tough guy.

Me ~ Yeah, thank you for caring Erik it really means a lot honestly. I'm really glad I have someone like you in my life.

Erik ~ Its a pleasure, and I'm glad I have someone like you also. Well I guess I'll leave you now - please update me if anything happens.

Me ~ Sure, and thanks again. Bye Erik :)

Erik ~ Bye Jen :)

~*~

"You may come and see him now." The young looking doctor said, she had brown hair slickly tied back. Her eyes were a dark brown and she had very little make up on her face - but her beauty was obvious, she didn't need it.

"He is awake and was in a slight coma, we would like to keep him here for a couple more hours for observation." Dr. Kutch said, her Afrikaans accent strong.

I walk the couple of feet towards his hospital room and stand by the open door. I see him laying there with his eyes closed - looking so peaceful. He stirs a bit, probably sensing someone staring at him.

"Hey," he says opening his eyes looking at me from the threshold.

"Hey." I say, "you really scared me." I say walking over and hugging him on the bed, tears stinging my eyes.

"I know, and I'm sorry." He says holding me tight towards him.

"Your parents are on their way." I say after a while of him holding me in his arms.

"Yeah the nurses told me." He said slightly sitting up on the bed.

"What a vacation." I say chuckling, thinking of everything that's happened so far.

"Yeah, but it wasn't all bad." He says clutching my hand.

"Yeah, I know." I say holding his hand and looking into his eyes.