11

Emma.

"Class dismissed!" Professor Elroy says at the front of the room. Finally, my last class of the day is done! I almost leap out of my seat, but my left side singes with pain. This has been happening for the past few weeks, and it is getting annoying.
As I leave the classroom, the pain subsides a bit as I walk to the bus station. I really should see a doctor about this, so while I wait for the bus, I call to make an appointment for 5. Done.

The bus arrives and I flash my bus pass, then make my way to a seat. I only have four stops to wait, so my ride is over quickly. I make it home in ten minutes, and I hurry up the stairs to my place.

As I let myself in, I hear yelling coming from Eli's apartment. What is that about? I don't hear a second voice, so he must be on the phone. I strain to hear anything but i can only make out a few words. Weird.

I check my phone as I plop down on the couch. 4:25. I should probably leave right away. Well, I didn't plan that one very well. I quickly change into comfier clothes, then head out the door. My doctors office is really close so I decide to just walk.

A little bell rings as I swing open the door, and a friendly looking receptionist looks up at me.
"Hi, I'm Emma Caldwell for 5." I walk up to her.

"Doctor Bridgman will be ready for you in a minute hon. Go ahead and take a seat." she says warmly.

A few minutes later, the appointment begins.

"So Emma, what can I do for you?" Dr.Bridgman inquires, getting out a notepad.

I explain the pain in my left lower torso, and he nods.

"Hmmm. Not muscle pain?"

I shake my head. "No, it seems more internal."

He goes silent, then shakes his head to himself. It looks like he is talking to himself, looking quite puzzled.

"Well Emma, I hate to tell you this, but whatever this is, it isn't good. I've read similar studies, and it could either be a cyst, or possibly ovarian cancer. We'll have to take tests to be sure though. Are you open to that?"

Damn.

"Um, yeah, I guess." I reply, dazed.

First, we do a blood test, then a CT scan, and finally an MRI. The results will be back in a month, and then well find out if I'm dying. Yay. By the time we finally finish, it's already 7.

I decide not to tell my parents or Eli yet, just in case it's nothing. But it doesn't feel like nothing. You can just tell with these things.

Eli.

I'm just getting home from school when I hear my phone ring. Not Dad again! He will not get off my back. I set my bag down on the island and sit on my stool.Taking my phone out of my pocket, I grudgingly answer.

"Hello?"

"Son! Glad I caught you."

"What is it now Dad?" I spit out. I don't have time for this.

"Well your Mom and I have been talking, and we think we may have found a suitable match for you. Her name is-"

"You didn't think to ask me if I wanted a "suitable match"? I can do that myself! You can't always butt in!"

"Elijah, this is important for the company. If you want to take over one day, you need to think of your future." Dad says disapprovingly.

"But I don't want to take over your fucking company! You already took over my career, now you have to ruin my love life too? What kind of parent are you? You didn't even want me to do it before Abby died, you just wanted what was more convenient for you!" I'm yelling now, and pacing the room.

"Young man I am your father, and you will do as I say! This is for the benefit of the company and this family! Alison is a lovely girl who comes from a very wealthy-"

"So it's about the money then? You're already fucking rich Dad, you don't need to marry me off to fuel your fucking greed!"

"You're coming back home son. Enough of this childish behavior. At least meet the girl. We can pay for your schooling at home instead."

"What? No I'm not. I love it here. I love Nina and my apartment and the city and-" I falter. Emma. I can't leave her, not now, not ever. We were becoming Something. I'm not sure what... but Something.

"You're coming back next week and that is final." He says, then hangs up.

"Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck." I chant as I run my fingers through my hair. This can't be happening. I already can't choose my career, now I'm being forced to fall in love? I can do that on my own, and I already ha- Anyway, just when I get settled, Richard has to come and fuck everything up. My dad, Richard Binks, owns a very successful insurance company. Abby was going to take over when he retired but.. well, you know. Now, I'm the only option if we want to keep it in the family. Whoop whoop. I trudge over to my bed and collapse on, letting myself falling into a light sleep.

I wake up to the sound of a taxi door slamming outside. I can see my clock from where i'm lying. 7:00 already? Wow, I never nap. I get up slowly and walk to the window and look out. I can see the figure of Emma stomping inside. Something is wrong. We need to talk.