14

Emma.

The days without Eli are boring. He was kind of my only friend. We text every day, and call each other every night. It sounds like he's having a bad time too.

But I doubt he's waiting for cancerous test results. I've been watching my phone like a hawk, for both Eli, and the doctor. And I keep feeling the pain in my left side, getting a little worse every day.

Anyway, enough complaining. I've survived a week on my own, and I'm fine. Lonely, but fine. I've been working at Nina's part time, and I can see why Eli loves her so much. And vice versa. Those texts and phone calls are almost as great as the real thing. Almost.

Eli.

It turned out I didn't need to prepare for a fight. My dad is perpetually ignoring me. He brought me here, and now what, I just sit here. Texting Emma. Which is great, but I could be doing this in San Francisco. This is so pointless.

My mom is trying to be extra nice to me, making all my favorite foods that I want to be making myself. But guess who is banned from the kitchen. My dad says cooking is the opposite of masculinity. I call bull.

Now, I'm being forced to put on a suit and meet the "new love of my life." Alison. Hopefully she is tolerable. Maybe we can be friends so dad will get off my back.

I start buttoning my light blue dress shirt, starting from the bottom. As I reach the top button, I hear a soft knock on the door.

"Come in!" I say sharply. My mom opens the door gingerly, like she's afraid I'll snap if she makes abrupt movements.

"You look wonderful Eli. Do you need help with your tie?" Mother says.

I nod, and hand her the one I've picked out. As she ties she opens her mouth as if she wants to say something, but closes it soon after.

"Have you met this Alison, mom?"
I ask.

She finishes my tie before she speaks. "Yes honey, I have. She's a very nice girl. I think you might really like her."

"Hmmpf."

........

We walk into the fancy restaurant and I instantly want to sink into the ground. It's the most romantic restaurant in Santa Cruz, adorned with hundreds of candles.

"You have got to be kidding me." I say, my jaw dropped.

"The food is wonderful son, it just happens to set the mood." Mom says quietly.

Our hostess leads us to our table. There are only four seats, but we have six people coming. I look at dad and he gestures to a table for two a few tables away. I shake my head. They really are pushing this, aren't they. I grudgingly walk over to the table, and take my seat. Maybe this is better. Maybe she hates this as much as I do.I wouldn't be suprised.

The Grantchesters' don't keep us waiting long. I see Alison first, she glides into the room. Her face isn't so graceful though. I can tell she is shocked by the "mood" too.
I catch her gaze, and she starts to walk towards me. I stand abruptly, and move to her side of the table so I can pull her chair out. Alison's long auburn hair bounces when she walks, like Emma's does. Crap, why did I think of that? Now I'll be distracted and-

"Eli?" A sociable voice chirps. I push away my thoughts and reach out my hand.

"Yes. You must be Alison." I say as she shakes it. I pull out her chair, then go back to my seat. We sit in awkward silence for about a minute, pretending to look at our menus.

"This is completely ridiculous, isn't it? I was planning on staying home in sweatpants." Alison says.

"I know. I was happily living in San Francisco a week ago, until I had to "get a job", and "find a suitable match". I reply, relieved she feels the same.

"Really? Your parents made you move? How unfair is that?" She says, her eyes burning holes into the back of my parents heads.

"Yeah. Just as I was settling in and making... friends."

"Friends?" She says knowingly.

"Yeah. And I had a great job, doing what I love."

"Which is..."

I sigh. "Cooking. Which apparently isn't manly enough."

"Well, try telling my parents that their ladylike daughter is a lesbian. Oh, I didn't mean to tell you that!" Alison blurts out.

"No, it's fine. I'm actually kind of relieved."

"Oooh. Because of your friend."

Emma comes into my mind, and I almost forget to answer.

"Um, yeah. Anyway, why haven't you told your parents?" I ask.

"I'm terrified. They are very... Straight. Also, I figure I can buy you some time before you're set up again."

I look into her eyes, and all I see is sincerity. "I appreciate it."

"What's her name?"

I hesitate before speaking.

"Jenna."