19

Emma.

I walk alongside Damien as we head to his car. He offered to drive me home, after he recognized me and we caught up a bit. It is so weird to see him after this year. He just seems so... Normal. Compared to recent events, anyway. I used to have such a huge crush on him grades 8-11. He graduated a year before me, and I hadn't seen him since. Until now.

"What are the odds we could have ran into each other in this huge city? This is crazy!" Damien says enthusiastically. 

"I know! Its been a while." 

"Well, don't be a stranger. We used to be good friends, but we fell out of touch after.., you know."

"After I told you I had liked you for three years? Kinda flips the switch if you ask me." I laugh. "That actually made me stop liking you. You didn't handle it so well."

"I know, I'm sorry about that. We can laugh about it now though."He flashes pearly white teeth at me.

"Yes, definitely. So, what's going on in your life? Why are you in San Francisco?"

"Oh, um, I've been studying at medical school here. I'm just visiting my, um, girlfriend."

"Oooooh, who's the lucky girl? Do I know her?" I say curiously.

"Maybe. She was in my grade. Monique? Drama club?"

"She rings a bell. I'm really happy for you Dame."

"Well, thank you. And how are you? What are the current events?" He puts his hands in his pockets.

I decide to leave out the cancer bit. "I'm pretty good, going to school here. I have a boyfriend too, actually. His name is Eli."

"You go girl! We have to start hanging out. Maybe we could go on double dates..."

"Did you actually just say that? You go girl? Oh my gosh." I tease, poking him in the side.

"Well, this is it. No assaulting the driver." Damien frowns, sticking his tongue out at me.

"Fine. No using dated catchphrases then." 

"Ugh, fine."

We get in the car and i show him where my place is, then go to Nina's for coffee (hot cocoa for me obviously). I push open the door and see Eli sitting with Nina.

"Hey you." I smile shyly at him.

"Hey yourself." Eli says, as he instantly stands and comes over to me.

I draw him in and give him a kiss on the cheek. "Damien, this Eli, I told you about him. Eli, this is Damien, a good friend from high school."

Damien grins "I just reconnected with Emma an hour ago and I've already heard so much. Good to meet you."

"Oh really?" Eli wiggles his eyebrows at me as he shakes Damien's hand.

"Yes, really. Do you have a problem with that?" I say teasingly.

"Well, no."

Dame and I get our drinks, then join Eli at the table. 

"So, how was your morning?" I ask Eli, grabbing his hand.

"Kind of depressing until you showed up. I would say something about you brightening up my day but I don't want to scare Damien away with the cliche." He chuckles.

"Oh I don't mind. Life is built on cliches." Damien replies, sipping his coffee like he's a meme.

"Interesting theory. I beg to differ." I say.

"I don't know. A scenario can be used more than once, it's never exactly the same. Everything has its quirks." Eli adds, leaning into the conversation.

"I mean, nothing can be a cliche. Like Eli said, everything is unique." I finish my thought.

"But society, especially the entertainment economy relies on them. Good luck finding a book without one." Damien says.

We go on like this for a while. No matter what Damien says, my life is not a cliche. I have freaking cancer, which Hollywood is turning into this phenomenon. This isn't fun people. Just because Hazel Grace and Augustus Waters had an amazing love doesn't mean you can use cancer as a pickup line. There are no cliches in real life, how can there be. I bet you can't name a cliche thing about me. Ha. 

Eli.

I really like this Damien guy. He has a very cool outlook on life. I'm glad Em found a friend, since this is pretty stressful for her, obviously. And, I'm glad he's not a likely threat. He has a girlfriend, who sounds awesome. I have a feeling we'll be seeing more of each other. He just left though, so Emma and I are heading home to talk about the appointment.

"When are you leaving?" I ask, after she says that she has to go to Sacramento. 

"The day after tomorrow." She sighs. "We can't catch a break."

"Oh. I guess we can't."

"And, there's one more thing." Emma adds solemnly. "After the surgery, I'll be infertile." A tear rolls down her face slowly. I move closer to her and brush it away, my heart breaking for her.

"Em, I'm so sorry."

"It's okay. I mean, I never planned that I would. I just you know, figured it would happen someday." She snuggles into me, and I hold her.

"Hey, there's always adoption. But, that really sucks. It's okay though. You'll be okay." I say, attempting to comfort her.

"Yeah, I guess." She says, her face glistening from the few tears on her cheeks.

I hold her, being strong for her, being with her as long as I possibly can, because she is perfect in every way, except she was dealt the wrong deck of cards.