17

Emma.

I know I knew this would happen. I knew it. I had a gut feeling. Why is this hitting me this hard? I'll... I'll be okay, right? I feel so lost. I need to tell my parents. First, I put my appointment into my phone, with an alarm to remind me.

Eli.

The whole car ride I'm running over in my head what I'm going to do when I'm back. I have to see Emma. And Nina. Does Emma even like me anymore? We've been talking the whole time apart, but what if she met someone else? She has been distant today.

Emma.

I called my mom and dad. Naturally, they freaked. They want me to come home to Sacramento as soon as possible, but I really don't want to. But, as Hazel Grace said, the only thing worse then biting it from cancer is having a kid bite it from cancer. I have to listen to them. I just want to stay as long as I can. And, maybe Eli will show up? My brain is just too hopeful for it's own good.

Eli.

The driver drops me off in front of the apartment. I run inside, up the stairs, suitcase bumping behind me. No time to lose. It's been too long. I let myself in my apartment and take a deep breath. Home sweet home.

Emma.

I slam the door of my apartment and rush to Nina's. I totally forgot I was working today. It's only spitting outside now, so I'm just wearing Eli's sweater he left behind. I head in and give a smile to Nina, who's helping a customer. Hopefully after earlier today, this shift will be uneventful.

Eli.

I hear a door slam from next door. Emma! My hearts skips a beat knowing that she's here. The question is, is she coming or going. Well, before I make any rash choices, I have to talk to Nina. She always knows what to do. I run back downstairs and a the way to Nina's. Before I go in, I take a deep breath, then pull open the door.

Emma.

I hear the bell above the door while I'm in the back room. I quickly hang up my purse and walk out, since Nina is busy and I'm manning the counter. I close the door behind me, then look at the customer. Ho-ly shit.

"Emma?" he says, many emotions on his face.

Eli.

"Eli." she freezes, like a deer in the headlights. She looks taken aback, and we stand there for a few seconds before she runs towards me and tackles me in a hug. Her damp hair rests on my shoulder, and I kiss the top of her head and hold her tight. She's here. I look at her, drink her in as we embrace, and notice a familiar sky blue on her shorter figure. She's wearing my sweater! That's a good sign, right?

"Oh my God." Emma says, voice muffled in my chest. We finally let go of each other, and there's another silence as we just look at each other.

Emma.

I can't stop staring. I knew I missed him, missed him a LOT. But looking at him, I realize how much. I feel no pain inside me, only happiness.

"H-how are you here?" I splutter, unsuccessfully holding back a grin.

"I talked to my dad, he let me go. I'll give you more details later but first I have something to ask you."he says, not even trying to hide his smile.

"Um, okay." OH LORD.

"Come for dinner tonight?"
Eli asks, a twinkle in his eyes.

"You stupid boy." I huff, and pull him in for a kiss. I can hear Nina clapping from the kitchen. She stops after a while though, that's a long time to be clapping. When we come up for air Eli takes a deep breath, then says "So I'll take that as a yes?"

I knock on his door, and he's there in seconds. Literal seconds. Eli swings the door open, a sheepish grin on his face.

"Come on in." He says, offering me his arm. I take it and he leads me into the apartment. Or, I think its an apartment. Twinkly lights are hung all around the space, and the small table is adorned with a white tablecloth and a vase of blue flowers. The lighting is romantic and casts pretty shadows around the room.

"Too much?" He asks adorably, looking unsure.

"Not at all. It's so beautiful!"

"Well, you came just in time. Food's ready."

"Perfect." I say, taking a seat while he does the final steps. He brings the food over, and it smells so good, I almost forget Eli's even here. Almost, I mean, I love them both.

After dessert, we go up to the roof with a few blankets and watch the sky, kissing, talking about everything, from his dad, to working at Nina's. But not the two things I really need and want to tell him. I can't tell him I'm sick yet. Not tonight. Eli's just staring at me, and vice versa. It's like a dream.

Eli.

I have to tell her. I have to know if she feels the same.

"Emma?" I say, before I can chicken out.

"Eli." She says calmly, a hint of amusement on her face.

"Okay, I'm just going to say it. Emma Caldwell, I love you."

A huge smile breaks out on her beautiful face. "I love you too Eli Binks."

Wait. Did she just say it back? Holy shit. What does one say at this point? Nothing, it turns out. Just kissing. Definitely not complaining... Somehow, we end up back in the apartment, my fingers running through her hair, kissing, more than kissing, and...