Chapter Eight

Simon's POV

The Insidious Humdrum was back. I thought Baz was in the Humdrum's clutches again. In fact, I was almost positive that it had Baz in his clutches again. This couldn't be happening. I bit my lip and tried to call for the sword of mages. I was amazed when it came, and that I had remembered the enchantment that got it to come to me. I figured that I had forgotten the spell by now.

I ran farther into the woods outside of Baz's house. I quickly found Baz, and the Humdrum. The Humdrum was smirking in the direction of Baz. I slit my eyes into a menacing glare.

"What did you do to Baz?" I snarled.

Baz turned around. He looked exactly like he had all those 20 years ago, at his old house. This time he wasn't warning me to stay away.

"I just made him hungrier. He wants your magic, just like the last time." The Humdrum mentioned with a small smirk.

I began to walk slowly towards Baz. My hand was out in front of me, and I was getting ready to give him some of my magic. I just hoped I wouldn't open up any more dead spots. My hand touched his shoulder, and I let my magic soak into him. He relaxed a little, but not enough. His fangs were popped out, and they weren't getting any farther away from me.

He grabbed my arm and removed it from his shoulder. His teeth ever so slightly moved towards it, and I began to get panicky. I had to stop Baz from doing what he had promised himself he would never do.

"Baz, look at me. I'm not something to eat." I said with a gulp. I didn't know what else to say. He wasn't removing my arm from his grasp. His teeth just continued to crawl even closer. I shook slightly. "Baz, come on. Stop it."

My voice came out so much weaker than I had meant it. I knew he wouldn't listen. He was hungry, and I had become his newest meal.

I started to try to shake my arm away. I tried pulling it away. Baz's grip tightened painfully, and I let out a strangled cry. His teeth were only inches away from my arm.

"B-Baz... Come on, that's enough. I love you. Remember who I am. You've got to." I said just before his teeth dug their way into my skin.

I let out a small scream of pain as the fangs went in. I whimpered. He relaxed more as he drank, and the more he relaxed, he seemed to realize what he was doing. He just couldn't stop though.

I gazed behind Baz to find the Humdrum gone. I blink in and out of consciousness, and finally I felt Baz drop my arm. He stared at me for a moment, then started muttering to himself in rushed panic. His wand was suddenly in his hand, and he was muttering healing spells. I could feel his toxins running through system. That was when I lost consciousness and blacked out.