Chapter Fourteen

Simon's POV

I looked down at the ground when Baz didn't respond to my apology. I carefully removed my hand from his, and Baz didn't seem to notice. His face was contorted into a look of rage and self-loathing. I had upset him more than I usually did.

I took a few steps away from him. I had learned a while ago not to mess with Baz when he was angry. I decided to let him cool down. I began to take a walk on my own.

This probably wasn't the best idea with the Humdrum on the loose. This probably wasn't the best idea, considering Baz may get mad at me for disappearing when he told me that I had to learn how to hunt. I went anyway. It would be a while before Baz would even realize I was gone.

I needed to find something to eat. I remembered a small saying that I used and put magic into it. I hoped it still worked.

I pulled out my wand.

"Doe," I began, starting the phrase I had come up with all those years ago with Baz. "A Deer!"

The dear appeared right in front of me, and I decided to try hunting on my own. Baz wasn't here to teach me at the moment. I stalked toward it, and when I got close, I bit down on its neck. The blood of the animal was gone quickly. I felt full.

I walked around more, draining a few off the small animals that I found. I wanted to make sure I was as full as possible. I didn't want to attack Baz's family any more.

"Simon! Where are you!" Baz sounded more worried then angry, but the anger in his voice was still evident.

"Over here, Baz!" I called back.

Baz ran towards me, and entangled me in a hug. I jumped a little, not expecting that at all.

"Baz? What's wrong?" I asked.

"I looked over to where you were, and you weren't there..." He started rambling, then turned to look at me. "Why didn't you tell me you were going elsewhere?"

"I- You were upset. I didn't want to bother you. I was hungry... I went to find food..." I said sheepishly.

I smiled a fake smile to show him my fangs that were attempting to make their way back into my gums slowly. He tilted his head.

"What did you get?" He asked me with a proud smile.

"I got a dear to start, and then a few rabbits after that. I wasn't that hungry... I just wanted to make sure I didn't attack your sisters or someone..." I said while looking down.

Baz pulled me into a tighter hug. He kissed my forehead, and I kissed his nose. He smiled softly, and grabbed my hand. We started to walk back to the house.

"I meant what I said about us moving as soon as possible." Baz said as he looked down at me.

I shrugged. Baz bit his lip, and stopped walking. He kneeled down.

"Tell me what's wrong. The truth this time, and without a spell."