chapter 7

After I've felt that I've gained enough distance, I start to walk. I use my newly improves senses to try and detect what I wanted most- human blood.

Soon enough, I stiffen as I hear footsteps, from what I can tell pretty far behind.

I slow my pace even more, looking down at my phone, pretending to scroll through messages. The steps only get louder and closer behind me.

I get the the creeping feeling this person is following me.

Soon they are very close, right behind me. My follower thinks his footsteps are quiet, but my ears pick up things I never would have heard before. I swear I feel his hot breath on my neck.

I whip around quickly.

An older boy, college maybe, stops dead in his tracks, an attempt at a convincing smile on his face.

"Can I help you, asshole?" I growl.

"Woah. Easy sister." He says, putting his arms up surrender. "A pretty babe like you shouldn't be walking these streets alone at this time. Maybe you could hang with me." He adds cockily with a wink.

"I think I can fend for myself." I say, eyes narrowed.

My eyes are on fire.

He looks at me a little closer, squinting. I smell the alcohol reeking in his breath.

"Are you wearing contacts?" He asks, puzzled.

Suddenly, his eyes roll to the back of his head for a split second. When they return to normal, I see a glint of scarlet in them.

He starts to slowly lean in, eyes closing, ready to put his lips on mine, when I jerk forwards quickly and go for his neck.

Nothing has ever felt as good as sinking my teeth into this boys throat.

*********

I sat crouched on the sidewalk, sobbing softly. A pale boy lays under me, shriveled and unmoving.

Because of me.

What have I done?
I killed him. I'm a complete monster.

My head begins to spin, thoughts of his family, his life, and him circle me.

I feel a hand on my shoulder suddenly.

Instinctively, I turn around quickly, flashing my fangs and about to hiss. My eyes widen and I stop.

"Sarah!" I croak.

She pulls me up into a tight hug. My tears streaming into her shoulder, she mutters that it's okay.

"What have I done! I'm sorry. I'm so sorry!" I sob.

"It's okay. But we have to get you back home." She says, releasing the hug and grabbing my shoulders.

I can't go home, is she kidding?

"No, I'm to dangerous!" I sniffle out, my sobs fading. "I mean look at him!" I point at the ground, wincing slightly.

"You'll be able to control yourself now, just please trust me." She pleads.

I let her take me back home. Along the way, she calmly explains everything with Jesse.

I can't believe this happened to me.

"This changes everything." I say softly.

"I know." She replies. "But I promise you everything will be fine.

I push open the door harder than I mean to to my house. I see Ethan rushing around, cleaning up a huge mess. Sarah immediately lifts Jane, fast asleep, from the couch and brings her upstairs.

"Ethan," I choke out, walking up to him swiftly. "I'm really so-"

"No." He says harshly, not meeting my eye.

"But I-"

"Hayley! No!" He says even more harshly. "You really did it this time." He sighs, his tone softening a bit. His eyes finally meet mine.

"I'm sorry-"

"Things will never be the same. You're dangerous, and I can't trust you anymore. With Jane, with me, with mom and dad... even with Benny. You have to keep your distance now." He says quietly.

A huge pang of sadness hits me. I've ruined everything.

I feel tears well up in my eyes. Looking at the ground for about thirty seconds, my breathing becomes short and ragged.

That sadness has changed to something else. A wave of rage passes over me, making not only my eyes burn, but my head too.

I look up at him with a deadly glare, and he returns a frightened look.

My fists are clenched so tight, my nails dig into my skin. He grabs my arm.

"Calm down, I didn't-" he stops and gasps.

I feel that cold rush go through my head again as he's frozen for a split second.

"What-" He starts to choke out, but is suddenly cut off by the shattering of glass in his hands.

It was a vase he was putting back on the table. He gaze flicks between me and the broken glass littered on the floor. He gulps.

"Did you-"

Before he can finish, I dash up the stairs, and slam the door to my room. I fall back into the bed.

I wish I was done my crying. I didn't have anyone except... this. I felt a weakening hit to my chest when I thought about the times we had. For some reason I couldn't even think about Benny.

I almost wanted him to be scared after a while.

I sat up, wiping the tears from my face. I was angry again.

If he wants dangerous, I'll give him dangerous.

My eyes burn and I hear the lightbulb in my lamp shatter.

I'll show him what it really is so he can see that this isn't.