chapter 12

After a morning of rushing around my room with my brain shattering headache, I finally get to school.

I see the rest of the drama club getting out of their cars, along with a brand new Erica. We walk into the school, me on one side of her, Jesse on the other, like how you see in movies.

I push a smile on my lips when I see a the fledgling I know too well. I hope I wasn't forcing it too much. She's looking our way with her eyes wide.

"What's wrong, Sarah?" Erica asks in a sickly sweet voice. "You're looking a little underfed?"

I look down a little awkwardly and keep quiet.

She scoffs and surveys us.

"What happened to you?" She asks.

"You know, like, the best thing ever." Erica says.

I raise my head and look at Sarah with a blank expression.

"It's not too late." Erica says. "Join us, then we can be best friends forever."

I nod in agreement, knowing full well she won't.

"Never." She says, looking at the ground.

Erica's smile snaps into a dangerous bitch face. I just look at Sarah kind of solemnly.

"You're making the biggest mistake of your life. Well... What's left of it." Jesse says.

"Isn't that sweet, I think she still has a thing for you." Erica says, touching Jesse's face.

I cough awkwardly.

"I've got something for all of you. And it's made of wood and really sharp." Sarah says angrily.

A pang of fear hits me. I didn't really want to fight anyone. Especially considering the two geeks who'd likely get eviscerated by a group of vampires.

I force a laugh along with Erica and Jesse.

"Face it Sarah, you've been replaced." Jesse says, leaning over to swallow Erica's face.

Shuffling a little uncomfortably, I feel Robbie's hand slide down slowly from my waist. I pull it back up quickly, hoping no one else noticed.

"Oh, you're still coming to the Dusk premiere, though? BFF." I say, exchanging a look with Erica.

She looks at us, almost sadly, then turns to walk away.

********
Later in the day, I stand by my locker, thankfully having some time to myself. I needed it.

I puff out an exasperated sigh as I look to my side and see Ethan and Benny against the lockers, on the floor. They're talking in low voices, looking intently at Ethan's laptop. I strain my ears to try and pick up what they're doing.

"Come on buddy, focus." I hear Ethan say.

I roll my eyes. Probably another dumb video game. I'm about to walk away when Benny speaks.

"Ugh! I hate poetry! It doesn't make any sense!"

I can't help stiffening a little. Hearing him talk made me feel worse.

"What angels nest?" He adds, exasperated.

My eyes widen a little.

"Shh. The cube animals. They found it at the angel statue at the cemetery remember?" Ethan lowers his voice, his gaze flicking to me anxiously.

"Oh."

Hmm. Maybe Rory was right and it is 'Cuban animals'.

They're catching on fast. I was told not to let them interfere.