Goodbye

Dakota's POV

It was ______'s 16th birthday and I could not be any happier. I knew very well what to get her and my gift for her was sitting in a small box that was in my pocket. I wanted to go over to her house to personally deliver it and to personally wish her a happy birthday. I would never text someone a happy birthday message. I would much rather do it in person. The only time I will message someone birthday wishes is when they're out of town or the country. I sadly wasn't going to her house right away.

My parents sent my oldest brother Devon and I to go get groceries. We agreed to split the shopping list in half. I was almost done. I was just in need of one more item. Bread.

"White bread, whole grain bread, wheat bread, pita bread." I whispered to myself. I looked down at the grocery list to see what kind of bread my mom asked for. But all it said was 'bread'
"I hope they like whole grain." I mumbled to myself tossing the loaf of bread into the cart. My phone began to ring and at first I thought it was Devon getting ready to tell me that he was done. But it wasn't. It was ______. An eager grin went on my face as I answered it and held the phone to my ear.

"Hello?" I smiled. There was a bit of silence on the other end. I did however hear ______ breathing in a heavy matter.

"D-Dakota?" She whimpered. Her voice made her sound very fragile. I got a twisted feeling in my stomach. I felt right away like something wasn't right.

"______ what's wrong?" I asked.

"Nothing, Dakota. I just wanted to tell you that I love you." She managed to choke out through her tears.

"______ tell me the truth." I demanded. I heard nothing but soft crying at the other end.

"This phone call. It's my note. That's what people do don't they? Leave a note?" She asked through her tears.

I knew very well what ______ is capable of doing to herself and the twist in my stomach got tighter. I felt lightheaded. I abandoned my cart and went to find my brother. I was running through the aisles trying to find him.

"______ stop. Let's talk about this." I instructed as I ran to the dairy aisle.
"Devon we have to go." I whispered making sure she was still on the line.

"Why? Hey do you like almond milk or soy milk better?" He asked studying the two milk cartons.

"Forget the milk!" I yelled trying to drag him out of the store.
"______ are you there?" I asked after a moment a silent.

"I love you so much, Dakota." She whispered in a weak voice.

"No. Don't hang up." I growled.

"Goodbye, Dakota." She whispered as she ended the call.

"Damn it!" I cursed getting ready to throw my phone.

"Dude what's wrong?!" Asked Devon staring me with a look of worry and anxiety.

"No time for questions just take me over to ______'s house!" I demanded as I dialed emergency services. We abandoned our groceries and went inside my brother's car.
"Can't this thing go any faster?" I asked.

"Did you check the speed limit?" He asked, his eyes locked on the road.

"Yes send an ambulance right away. We're on the way to her house right now." I instructed to the emergency services operator. Devon gave me a concern look as he sped up. We were going on a decent speed until Devon stopped the car.
"Why did you stop driving?!" I yelled.

"Red light." Replied Devon as he anxiously drummed the steering wheel with his fingers. I looked ahead to see the road empty. No one walked pass, no cars drive by. I let out a quick groan.