Winter wonderland

Dakota's POV

I heard what I thought was my alarm. I jolted up and took my phone to see that ______ is calling me. I grew worried as I glanced at the clock. It is only six in the morning. I quickly answered my phone.

"Dakota!" She screamed.

"______ are you ok?!" I panicked.

"Dakota look outside your window." She demanded. I went from panic to confusion.

Is she outside my house?

I looked outside of my window to see almost everything covered in a cold white blanket that we all call snow.

"Ok...?" I asked.

"It's snowing!" She squealed.

"Yeah ______ I can see that." I laughed.

"Do you know how awesome this is?!" She squealed.

"Well ______ I've been living in Canada my whole life so it is not anything that I have never seen before." I smiled.

"Dakota this is so cool!" She gasped in awe.
"Can I go over to your place and hang out in the snow?" She smiled.

"Snowman and chill?" I laughed.

"Can we build a snowman?! I've always wanted to do that!" She squealed like a child on Christmas.

"Sure, babe." I chuckled as I layed back down in my warm bed.

"Awesome! What time can I be there?" She smiled.

"Not right now. It's still pretty early." I yawned.

"Ok. Maybe noon?" She suggested.

"Noon it is." I smiled

***

I heard a knock on door. I ran downstairs as I wrapped my scarf around my neck. I opened it to see ______ well dressed for the winter with an eager grin.

"Come on, Kota!" She squealed taking me outside by my arm.

"Alright so what do you want to do?" I laughed.

"Ok I have a list." She smiled taking out a notepad and a pen. I couldn't help but laugh.

"You have a list?" I chuckled.

"Yeah and I already scribbled out two of them. Ice skate and play ice hockey." She confidently smiled.

"Alright. What's next?" I asked.

"Well... Do you wanna build a snowman?" She sang.

"______ stop!" I demanded covering my ears.

"Ok I know I'm a bad singer but really, Goyo?" She asked in misbelief.

"It's not that. I just think Frozen is annoying." I groaned.

"Sorry." She chuckled.

"Don't worry about it." I smiled.

"Can we still build a snowman?" She asked.

"Sure." I smiled.

"Alright where do we start?" She asked looking around.

"Well whenever my brothers and I make a snowman, we just pile snow on top of each other and shape it along the way." I replied piling snow.

"I found some tree branches we can use for the arms." She smiled.

"Nice. I got some pebbles we can use for the eyes." I smiled as I shaped the pile of snow into a ball.

"All we need is a carrot for the nose." She giggled.

"I hope you brought a carrot because I'm not wasting a perfectly good carrot just so you can have a snowman." I scoffed

"Fine we'll just use this other twig." She shrugged picking it up from the floor.

Once we were done I felt accomplished.

"It looks kinda naked." ______ muttered. She then let out a small smile as she removed her beanie and placed it on the snowman's head.

"I have another improvement." I smiled removing my scarf and wrapping it around the snowman's neck.

"Dakota it looks great! I need to take a picture!" She smiled taking out her phone.

Throughout this whole thing she has been acting like a child seeing their Christmas presents for the first time.

"I'm guessing you don't get a lot of snow where you're from?" I chuckled as she took the picture.

"Is it that noticeable?" She laughed.

"Kinda." I chuckled. Once she finished with the picture, I removed the beanie and gave it to her as I took my scarf back and fiddled with it a bit.

"Sorry for acting all happy and excited over something you're so used to." She giggled.

I always enjoyed seeing this side of her. When she's so happy and joyous. Then again, she is always like that. Yet she would sometimes becomes depressed without warning. A common misconception about depression is that's they would cry silently to themselves at three in the morning. In reality, they're just people who try their best to be happy but depression can hit you out of no where and attack. One minute you are having the time of your life with your friends and loved ones and the next, you do not feel anything. You just go mentally numb out of nowhere. I try to cherish every moment I can when she's this happy because I never know when that spark of happiness will return.

I hate seeing her depressed. I feel like a terrible boyfriend when she is that way. I don't know what to do or say. I just hold her and hope it will all pass off. It hurts seeing her in pain knowing that there is nothing I can do to take it away. All I do is hold her, reassure her that I love her, and wait for it to go away. If there was any way that I can take away her pain and give it to myself, I would. I just want to see her be happy.

"Don't apologize. I think it's cute." I smiled wrapping my scarf around her and pulling her close to me.
"Don't ever apologize for being so cute." I whispered pulling her into a passionate kiss.