Chapter 17

Selene groaned as she awoke, her head hurting. For a moment, she was confused, her head seemed to just be throbbing and the smell around her was funny. She opened her eyes but was met by nothing but blackness.

Panic set in and she began to struggle.

That was when she heard the clicking.

Her eyes went wide, remembering the spiders, remembering that one had attacked her and then-

Nothing.

She wanted to shift then and there, swallowing back an angry growl, but she knew there was no way of knowing exactly what was out there. Instead, she slowly began to work, trying to move her hands around in the sticking mass that was holding her. It was hard, but she got one of her hands to her face. Once there, she started to try and make a little hole to see out of.

This was even harder.

What went in these were clearly not meant to come out.

Finally, she managed to get a hole.

And she didn't like what she saw.

She was very high in a tree, lightly swinging a little and she eyed the ground terrified. She'd already fallen hard once in her life, she didn't really need that experience again. Looking around as best she could, she could just make out a nearby branch.

If she could just swing to it, she had the possibility of safety.

She listened carefully. From what she could tell, most of the clicking was further away, so she would have some time if they found out she was trying to escape.

Selene started to squirm a bit more, making the hole a bit bigger to try and get her arm free, at the same time, she tried to get her other arm in the same place, so she could have the use of two hands instead of one.

She became so focused on what she was doing, she didn't really pay attention to her surroundings, all that mattered was getting at least one arm free so she could grab a hold of the branch.

She had just managed to get one hand free when pain exploded from her leg. She screamed and kicked at whatever was biting into her, it pulling away almost instantly.

Then, she dropped. The movement had broken the small band that had held her to the tree.

Selene brought her arms around her head as best she could.

The landing was hard but the webbing cushioned her fall. She breathed hard for a moment before she felt her sword digging into her leg.

Anger boiled over and an angry growl left her as she fought to free her sword that she then used to hack away at the webbing to get herself free.

She scrambled to her feet as the spider landed in front of her.

Selene didn't give it a chance, pouncing and burying her sword straight through the spiders head. She breathed hard, her leg throbbing painfully. It took her a moment but she could hear the others calling her name.

Danger.

It made her shudder and everything in her suddenly seemed to burn. She leapt forward without another thought, heading straight towards where the dwarves were calling for her. The spiders, who were clearly heading towards the dwarves, didn't know what hit them as she bounded in, her eyes glowing amber in the dim light as she sliced through them.

She made out the dwarves, putting up their own good fight against the spiders, all covered thickly in webbing, and her eyes locked onto one that was coming at them from above.