Chapter IV : Nothing but the Truth

"YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!"

   I didn't care how loud I shouted because the next information Uruha told me was just plain insane.

   Who would want to kill me? Why would they want to kill me?

    I couldn't think of something I'd done to deserve this. I admit that sometimes I'd done some careless and stupid things but someone wanting me dead because of that was too much of revenge.

    Maybe it was Akihiro, I remember kicking him at his shin when he was a jerk – but he deserved it.

    Or it was Ayaka, I never intend to splash a vibrant red paint over her white silk dress – it was an accident... a little.

    Maybe it was the pervert guy I punched when we were in fifth grade – but that was too long ago.

    "It's not just you." The beautiful guy across me said, disturbing me from remembering all of my misdeeds.

    "It's every human being living in this world. The Master of the Devil sends his minions here to end humanity. And we're here to fight them, stop them." He continued silently, his eyes locked on the ice in his glass.

    "How many do you guide?"

    This time, pair of dark purple eyes found a pair of browns. "Only you."

    There was an unfamiliar pull in my stomach the way he looked at me. I dismissed the feeling instantly. "Just me?"

     "When you die then there'll be another one." He laughed it out but then he stopped and his expression went back to being serious.

     I felt light-headed. "Everyone dies; does that mean you always lose?"

     He shook his head and looked back down his glass, rocking it with his right hand. "There are times we win, there are times we lose."  He paused, seemed like he was looking for words. "Every human has their own destiny, which means after you lived your life here you are to go to heaven. But those creatures from the dark were just to irritating; sabotaging you people."

    The sweats of my cold glass traveled down my fingers. I gulped the bile that formed on my throat before asking my next question. "Do you know....how.... I'll die?"

    "Yes."

    I looked up to meet his eyes but he was more interested in gazing at the melting ice in his water. "How?"

    He took a quick sip. "I can't tell you that. That's a secret."

    I moved closer and smiled at him. "I can keep a secret."

    A smile tugged at the corners of his lips. "No." 

    He stood up then with his glass in his hand and deposited it in the sink. He opened the fridge and stuck his head in then after some seconds he poked his head out with his warm smile. "Steak for dinner?"

    Steak? When was the last time I had steak? Ah yeah, when I was at the airport with my mom and dad – when I was thirteen. I nodded. I missed steak.

    Uruha's smile widened, then he took out different ingredients from the fridge. I kept on watching him, gracefully moving around my kitchen. That was why he didn't need any of my help with anything – he'd been here, he was here all the time – with me.

    I cleared my throat, feeling embarrassed that I'd let him do the cooking. "Let me do it." I offered, even if I didn't know how to cook a freakin' steak.

    He shook his head with his back at me as he continuously chopped something. "Just stay there and let me get this done."

    Uruha took a pan from a cupboard and turned the stove on, he glaze it with something and poured the white little thing that he chopped on the frying pan. It sizzled.