Chapter 23- so unlike Roc

RAY

 My mum's heels clicked along the kitchen floor as she strolled in, she slipped of her heels and took a sit next to me as I ate my cheese toasties.

"Hey baby." she stroked my hair and placed her briefcase on the table.

"Hello Mom." she pulled bits and pieces of paper and put on her thinking face, people say I look like her when she does that. My eyes traced along her arm, looking at the endless scars on her wrist. She looked up in time to see me watching. Feeling so self conscious she tugged the hem of her shirt down. I grabbed her arm before she could go further.

"Leave it mom, you don’t have to feel embarrassed by them, I'm proud of you." she smiled; I kissed her hand and offered to make her a cheese toastie. We both share a strong passion for it, nothing beats that.

"Rayan, your father is coming to the house today so we can finalise the divorce. Is that ok with you?" my whipped my head rounds so quick, I thought I was going to get whiplash.

"No mom it’s not okay with me. Take him anywhere; I don’t care just not this house. I don’t want to see him ever again." at that moment Michael appeared at the door in his boxers. I shook my head in disgust still remembering the reason he was only wearing one piece of clothing.

"What’s going on ma?" before mom could speak I interrupted her.

"William is coming to the house today to finalise the divorce." my brother shook his head, we both hated our father after years of abuse, my mother finally broke the shackles and mental hold my father had on her. It was a tough time for all of us.

One night, after suffering another round of choking and beating, my mum wondered out on the street, depressed and alone, she just kept walking until she ended up in the next town which was 4 hours away. Someone had called the police when they saw a 'mad black woman' wondering the street late at night. I could never forgive him something could have happened to her. My thoughts darken thinking of the horrible things that could have happened if they hadn’t found her.

To make matters even worse, he was a big time lawyer best in his field, so he was able to cover his tracks reasonably even after the police questioned him. All because of him my mother had to see a psychiatrist for the two past year, and when she was starting to break out of her steel. This man decided to waltz back in.

"Don’t ever let him get to you again mom." I tried to remain angry but the emotions that were building up in me right now was of fear

"No mom, you're strong, beautiful and brave, I know you can do this. Face up to him don’t ever let him draw you back in. I love you mom" Michael kissed her cheeks, and squeezed her shoulder letting him know he will always be there for her, but was about to give her a hug when she stopped him.

"I know you were not about to hug me, when I know what you’re crazy hormonal self got up to in the last 8 hours, I might not be home regularly and do not appreciate you sleeping with a  female under my roof. Just coz I don’t see it I let it go, but if I ever catch you, you'll be sorry." he nodded looking sullen; I tried to hold back the laughter as he trailed back upstairs. My mum bounced over putting her arms around me.

"You and Michael are my world, I love you both very dearly." she tiptoed and placed a kiss on my forehead.

"I know mum and I love you too. I hope one day I will find a female that will be half the woman you are, you come first. I'm here when you need me." I hugged her before running upstairs to my room.

 ROC POV

"Mum I've got you some-" I entered her hospital room but my heart nearly dropped out of my chest when I didn’t see her lying there like she was supposed to. Running to the receptionist, I babbled trying to get my words out, nothing must happen to the only woman in my life.