Five - river hunting

The next day, Hiccup woke up to find Merida trying to stand up, using a tree as support. "Um...princess, how's your feet?" He asked, going over.

"Almost...!" She yelped. Her legs gave out, and Hiccup sighed.

"You might want to rest a little while longer, princess." He said, holding a hand out to her. She hit his hand away, glaring at him. "Stop. Calling me that." She said.

"Fine then, what should I call you?" He asked.

She looked away, glaring at the ground. "Merida." She said finally.

Hiccup blinked. "That's your name?" He asked.

"Aye, got a problem with it?" Merida snapped defensively.

"No. I think it's a nice name, actually." Hiccup said. She raised an eyebrow. "So, Merida, will you let me help you up now?" He asked, holding out a hand. She looked at it. With a sigh, she grabbed it, letting him help her onto a log.

"Well, flame haired princess seems less violent today." Jack remarked, getting up.

Merida glared at him angrily. "What I wouldn't give to have my bow right now..." She growled. "I'd fill you with arrows."

Jack raised an eyebrow. "You shoot?" He asked. "I thought princesses were supposed to stay in the castle all day."

Hic looked at him. "Wow. After hanging out with people, you would think you'd have learnt by now that you can't underestimate people." He said. "And anyway, I don't see anything wrong with it."

Jack snorted. "Of course you don't. You grew up with Viking girls, like Astrid." He said. "And I didn't say I saw anything wrong with it. It's just...different from what I expected of her. No offence." He smirked at Merida.

"Plenty taken." Merida said.

Hic stifled a laugh at her comment. Jack rolled his eyes. "Anyway. We should get going." He said. "C'mon, Toothless. Time to get up."

"What about breakfast?" Hiccup asked.

"They'll be able to catch up to us pretty fast of we don't get moving. And I want to make it past Those woods before dark." Jack said. "It wouldn't be a good idea to fly into the Dark woods at night."

"Good thing I have some supplies...." Hiccup sighed, reaching for the dry biscuits.

"Dark woods?! But there's nothing beyond it-" Merida started. "Nothing but the Shadow King's realm."

"Good, you know where we're going." Jack said. "So lets go."

Merida glared at him. "Like heck I'm going to willingly go near the Dark woods." She said.

Jack sighed. "Well, princess, you weren't given a choice." He said, hefting her up over his shoulder, to her indignation.

"Put me down!" She yelled, hitting him.

"Ow." Jack grimaced, setting her onto the dragon. Hiccup sighed, climbing onto Toothless. "Come on, Toothless." He said.

"Who are you even working for anyway?!" Merida asked.

"Who do you think?" Hic asked. "The king, unfortunately." He scowled.

"What would he want from me?"

Hiccup shrugged. "How would I know?"

~~~

After a few hours, they stopped for food. Hiccup climbed off Toothless's back, petting his head. "Get some rest, buddy." He said, turning back to look at Merida. "Think you can walk yet, Merida?" He asked, offering a hand. She took it, climbing off the dragon. She stumbled, and Hic caught her quickly. She righted herself, taking a few steps carefully. She grinned after finding out she could walk again, albeit with occasional numbness.

"Maybe we should tie her up again." Jack muttered. "She might run."

"Even if she did, where could she go?" Hic asked. "There's nowhere for her to go out here, and she knows it." Merida scowled. "We'll go and get water." He said. "Stay here with Toothless."

Jack shrugged. "Alright. Just make sure she doesn't run off." He said, glancing at her. Merida glared at him before following Hic.

"Come on, we've got a river to find."

________________

Sorry I haven't updated lately >_