Six - this is a fearling.

"Is he always like that?" Merida asked. "So suspicious of everything?"

"Kind of." Hiccup replied. "But this is the first time on a job I've seen him this serious."

"You've done this sort of work more than once? Kidnapping girls?" Merida raised an eyebrow.

"No, nothing like this." He said. "Most of the jobs the Shadow king gives are to retrieve special items, like artifacts. These are the jobs I sometimes do with Jack. Then there are the more dangerous ones. Assassinations, maybe spying on his enemies.... The list goes on."

"And that bastard just agrees to do them. Snake. How can he just do this sort of work?"

Hiccup turned around, giving her a hard look. "Don't talk like you know him." He said coldly. Merida blinked. "You know, none of us wanted to do his dirty work. Jack is perfectly capable of beating him- if it were in a fair duel. He was supposed to be free from doing this work already. He was planning on leaving soon."

"What convinced him otherwise?"

Hiccup was quiet. "He took them." He said. "His little sister, and a girl. So unless we deliver you to him, alive and in one piece, Jack will lose the only family he has left."

Merida looked at the ground. "I didn't know that." She mumbled.

"'course you didn't, princess." Hiccup said, continuing to walk. "He didn't tell you. And he probably won't be happy that I've told you. He doesn't like getting close to people, especially if on assignments. Makes it less harder to hand them over I guess..." He stopped. "Found it." He refilled the bottles quickly.

"What about you?" She asked.

"What about me?" He glanced at her.

"Why are you with him?" She asked. "Why are you helping him?"

He stood up. "Do you see this?" He pointed at his mechanical leg. "I lost this leg when I was doing one of his assignments. If it wasn't for Jack, I would've lost a lot more than just a leg. He saved my life. He's also the first friend I've ever had." He said. "Anyway, we should get going. Jack will be waiting-"

A low growl made him stop. "Shoot." He muttered.

"What was that?" Merida whispered.

"Merida, when I tell you to, run as fast as you can." He said. "Ready?"

"But-" she froze, seeing the gleaming golden eyes of the creature.

"Now! Go!" He shouted, pulling her with him as he ran. With a loud roar the creature burst out, chasing after them on all fours. "What is that?!" Merida shrieked.

"A fearling!" Hiccup shouted. "Run!"

The fearling looked like something between a large bear and a dragon. Black sand streamed off its back as it chased after them. "It's catching up!! How do we kill that sort of thing?!" Merida yelled.

"How would I know?!" Hiccup shouted. "Just run!"

~~~

Meanwhile, Jack was sitting by Toothless, fingering the pendant again. Toothless glanced at the pendant, nudging it softly. He let out a soft whine, resting his head on his paws. Jack smiled slightly, petting his head. "I miss her too, buddy." He murmured.

"Jack!" He got up quickly. Hiccup?

"FROST!!!!" The red haired princess screamed. He could see them now, running through the forest. He gaped at the fearling behind them. It was huge! What was a fearling this large doing here, so far from the Dark woods?! "Shoot!" He flew over. "Hic, get out of here!"

"Trying to!" Hiccup shouted back, running towards Toothless. "Be careful!"

Jack shot at the fearling, freezing its feet. "Hurry up!" He shouted. "That won't hold it for long!" Hic pulled Merida onto Toothless. The fearling roared, crushing the ice. "Forget it, it won't hold it at all!" Jack yelled, firing at its head. It only angered the fearling further, not doing any actual harm. "Go!" He shouted, flying up.

The fearling, seeing Jack flying up, roared, unfurling its wings, and took off. "It flies, too?!" He exclaimed. "Whose nightmares did it pick up?!" He shot at its wings, causing it to roar in pain. Tendrils of black sand shot out, aiming for them. Jack avoided them just in the nick of time. "Hic!" He shouted.

Merida's eyes widened as one of them was about to hit her, only to get frozen. "Duck, you idiot!" Jack shouted. "Hiccup, you need to get out of here!" Hiccup nodded, steering Toothless. After a while, they landed by a cave. Hiccup looked around wildly. "Where did Jack go?!" He asked. "JACK!!"

"There!" Merida pointed. Jack flew over, landing unsteadily. "Jack!" Hiccup exclaimed, supporting him.

"I'm fine." Jack mumbled.

Hiccup stared at his arm. "You got hit." He said. There was a dark spot on his arm.

"I'll be fine." Jack insisted. "Just need some rest..." He muttered. Hiccup nodded, helping him over to the cave. "We'll camp here tonight." Hiccup said.

Alright, sadly, I will be having exams in a few weeks, so time to study. See you guys in October!!