Seventeen- the end

A week later in Burgess.

Rapunzel sat by the window, looking down at the town. Everyone was in high spirits following Pitch's defeat, and she could hear the celebrations below. A crowd was beginning to gather near the castle gates, waiting for them to open, for the coronation that was about to take place soon.

Her coronation. She bit her lip nervously at the thought of it. Becoming queen....what if-

"Hey." She whirled around. Jack walked into the room. His dark blue clothes were a sharp contrast to his white hair. "Hey." She smiled.

"Are you nervous?" He asked.

"A little?" She said. "Ok, a lot." She admitted.

"What's wrong?" Jack asked, sitting down next to her.

"It's just-" she sighed. "What if they don't like me?"

He laughed. "That's what you're worried about?" He asked.

"It's not just that, it's- what if I'm a horrible queen? What if I can't do this properly? What if I mess up, and everything becomes a disaster, and I ruin everything-"

"Punzie." He interrupted. "You won't be a horrible queen."

"But Jack-"

"And you won't mess up, or ruin anything. I know you won't." He continued. "As for them not liking you, Punz, I have never met anyone who didn't like you."

"But what if I do mess up?" She pressed. "What if everyone hates me?"

"You won't." He promised. "And you'll still have me. And Emma." He hugged her.

~~~

The coronation had gone smoothly, and now the ball was in full swing, and Rapunzel walked through the crowd, giving polite replies, keeping her smile on her face as the guests talked to her. Finally free of all the councillors and guests, she stood next to a pillar, glad to have a moment to herself.

"Rapunzel!" Merida waved at her, her wild hair in a plait down her back. Rapunzel turned around in relief, going over to her. "How're you, lass?" Merida grinned.

"It's a bit overwhelming, actually." Rapunzel admitted.

"Don't worry, you'll get used to it." Merida said. "Come on, go have some fun." She said, giving her a slight push. Well, what she thought was a 'slight push'. "Whoa!" Jack exclaimed, steadying Punzie. "Careful, Punz." He said.

"Well, I'll be off, then." Merida smiled at them, and with a wink, disappeared into the crowd.

"She planned this, didn't she." Jack said. He chuckled. "Would you allow me the pleasure of a dance with you, milady?" He grinned cheekily.

She laughed, taking his hand. "The pleasure would be mine." She grinned back.

~~~

Meanwhile, Merida was caught in a conversation with a duke from one of the neighbouring kingdoms, who'd recognised her as the princess of DunBroch. "I had heard of the beauty of the princess of DunBroch, but it would seem those rumours don't do you justice, princess Merida." He said, placing a kiss on the back of her hand. She grit her teeth, trying not to vomit. He was starting to get irritating... "Would you dance with me?" He asked.

"My apologies, but I don't dance." She said curtly. "Now, if you'll excuse me..."

He opened his mouth, about to say something, when Hic came over. "Excuse me, but the queen has something to discuss with the princess." He said, bowing slightly to the duke. "Princess?" Merida raised an eyebrow at him. He winked, and she smirked slightly. "Excuse me." She said, taking Hic's hand, going with him.

She sighed in relief as soon as he was out of sight. "Thanks, Hic." She said. "I thought he was never going to leave."

He laughed. "It looked like you were going to punch him in the face."

"I would've, given long enough..." Merida remarked.

He smiled at her. "It's good to see you." He said, looking at her. "You look..."

"Weird? Different?"

"Different is a word for it." He admitted. "But what I was going to say was, you look beautiful."

A slight pink flush appeared on her cheeks. "Thanks." She muttered.

A slight awkward silence later, he cleared his throat. "Do you- I mean, would you like to- you know, um..." He swallowed. "Do you want to dance?" He asked.

She giggled at his embarrassment. "I'd love to." She said.

:::::::::::::::::;;;::;::::

Oh well. You know what happens next. Happy ending.

First off, sorry that this story is shorter than the others. (Chapter count)

Second, Sorry if my endings always seem really short and well, not ending like.

Third, I probably won't be writing much, if anything at all next year. Next year I'll be busy with exams and other school stuff (sobs). That, and because lately I haven't been in the mood to write anything. Sigh...

Hopefully I'll be able to get back into the writing mood for any other stories.

But first I got to finish those other stories I haven't finished yet...TT