Chapter 9

"So, explain this to me again. How exactly are we going to do this?" Liam asks everyone at the table, not quite understanding the plan.

     Nate sighs, "Okay. You see how it's 6 right now?" He points to the wall, and Liam nods. "Well, when it changes to 7, we'll all get up and head on over to the West Wing. You with me so far?"

"Yes, I'm not stupid." Liam retorts.

"Good. Once we get there, we'll split into smaller groups and go in different directions since the West Wing is really big. That way, we'll be able to finish the search faster. Since we'd get there by 8, let's try to get it done before 9 so we'll have enough time to get back before Night." Nate informs us.

"Where are we gonna meet up after we're done?" Harry asks.

"That's a stupid question, we'll meet up at the door leading back to the Center." Nate responds.

"What if we don't get back in time?" Pam questions.

"Didn't you already ask that at First Feeding today?" Louis points out.

"Yeah, but nobody answered me." She replies.

     Nate turns to Pam, "We'll get back in time. Trust me, we will."

"Why do you keep saying that?" Pam asks incredulously. "It's like you're scared of even thinking about the possibility that we might not make it back in time!" She exclaims.

"You wanna know why I won't talk about it?" Nate stands up from his chair. "I don't wanna talk about it because I don't know! I have no idea what would happen if we don't get back in time so it's easier to not think about it at all. Is that what you wanted to hear?!" He yells.

"Don't yell at her." Peter warns him.

     Nate takes a deep breath before turning to Pam, who was looking down at her uneaten bread. "I'm sorry I snapped like that."

     She looks him straight in the eye, "Okay."

"C'mon, don't be like that. I didn't mean to yell."

"I'm sure you didn't." She responds, sarcasm laced in her tone. "That was unnecessary. I was just asking a question."

"I know," Nate admits, "And I'm sorry, I just don't like thinking about things I don't know, like what being locked out of our rooms after the lights turn off is like."

"Well, Zayn would know what it's like. He was locked out yesterday." Dan adds.

"Zayn's been missing for over a day, so I don't think that was a good example if you're trying to make people feel better." Louis informs him.

     I look over at Harry, who's turned a bit pale.

"Harry," I call his name, catching his attention, "You alright?"

     He looks up at me, "Yes."

"Be honest, please," I press, "Are you okay?"

"...No." He sighs. "No, I'm not alright." Hearing him admit that made my chest hurt a little bit.

"What's wrong?"

"I just-" He struggles with his words, "I just don't like going to the West Wing. I'm afraid I'll run into Bates." He explains.

"Harry, I don't understand why you're scared of Bates, he's a good guy." I try to convince him. "It's not like he's done anything wrong, has he?"

     He shakes his head, "No, he's done nothing wrong. I just get a bad feeling every time I see him. I can't really explain it but, he sort of creeps me out sometimes."