Chapter 41

"What are we gonna do when we're done eating?" Louis asks us. Nobody at our table answers him, they're all engaged in their own conversations. I'm way too busy worrying about everything to speak to him. If all those people who have disappeared are dead, does that mean I'm going to die, too? What about my friends? I don't think I'd want to be alive if any of them died. I'd lose my mind if that happened to Harry.

"Aimee..." Harry's voice pulls me out of my thoughts.

I look up from my bread, "Hm?"

"Did you hear what I said?" He whispers. "There are only forty-two of us left!"

"Huh? Oh, yeah." I distractedly respond. "Sorry, my mind has just been everywhere lately."

"Is anybody going to answer me?" Louis interrupts. "I didn't realize I was invisible."

I chuckle, "Sorry, Lou. We can go to the Garden when we're done eating, if you want."

Harry grins, "Yeah, let's finally go to the Garden!"

"Eh, I don't know if I want to go there." Louis admits.

Harry pouts and looks at Louis, "Aw, why not?"

"Don't pout like that, Harry." Louis warns, knowing he's going to give in to Harry's sad face. He's such a softie, he hates making Harry sad.

"Please, Lou?" Harry pouts even more. I guess he really wants to go to the Garden, it looks like he may even cry.

Louis sighs, "Fine, we'll go."

Harry's face immediately brightens, "Thank you, Louis!"

"Yeah, whatever." Louis mumbles, a slight smirk on his face. "Finish your food and we'll go."

Harry puts the last piece of bread in his mouth, cringing at the taste. Louis chuckles, patting Harrys back.

I look at my two best friends and I can't help thinking about Lia. She and I have been best friends for as long as I can remember and I miss her. I recall overhearing Niall and Mel talking about her, it sounded like they were saying someone told Lia to attack me, and Zayn actually said that the voices told him to hurt me but he didn't listen, so they told Lia. I think I need to find her, we really should talk things through. I need my best friend back.

I also can't help but think about death. Liam had gotten sick when he died, but surely that's not the only way. What if I die suddenly, without any warning? I can't even talk to Louis or Harry because I promised Lenore that I would keep it a secret.

I shouldn't be so sad, thinking about how any of us could die at any moment. Sure, it's a horrifying thought, but I'd rather be as happy as I can be until that time comes than just mope around waiting for it to happen.

I look around and notice Pam. I lean towards her and ask, "Pam, do you wanna come to the Garden with us?"

Pam grins, "Sure!" She turns to Zayn and asks him if he wants to join us. Zayn looks at us, hesitating.

"Are you sure you want me to come?" He asks, eyeing me carefully.

I warmly smile and nod, "I'd like it if you'd join us."

Zayn happily smiles back, "Okay then, I'll come."

"Well then, let's get going!" Louis exclaims. He stands up, grabbing his glass of water to drink one last sip. He's in the middle of drinking when he freezes, his eyes widening.

"Louis? What's wrong?" I worriedly ask him, standing up. Harry, Pam, and Zayn stand as well. Louis pulls the glass of water away from his lips and gasps.