Chapter 39

Day One:

     When I wake up, I'm alone in my room. Harry must have gotten impatient and left early to talk to Niall. I slowly get out of bed and go through my morning routine.

     I limp down the hallway and out of the East Wing. The Center is empty, meaning everyone is already in the South Wing for First Feeding. I finally make it to the South Wing and look around, some chairs are empty. Strange.

     I find my table and sit on my chair, with Harry sitting across from me. He's staring intently at the table, furrowing his brows.

"Good morning, Harry." I say, hoping to get his attention.

"One hundred and eighty four." He whispers.

"What?" I ask. He slowly looks up at me.

"That's how many people are here. One hundred and eighty four. I counted."

"You can count that high?!" I exclaim, impressed.

     Harry sighs, "That's beside the point. Where are the other sixteen people?"

"Well, other than Niall and Lia, everyone we know seems to be here." I point out.

"Why are sixteen people not here? Everyone should be present for every Feeding." Harry quietly states, rubbing his forehead.

     I shrug, "Maybe they're still asleep or they finished eating early and left."

     Harry shakes his head, "If they left, I would have known. I was watching that door the whole time."

     I stare down at my bread and randomly say, "I don't want to eat this. I want an apple."

     I look around and see Liam sitting near me. I pick up my bread.

"Liam, do you want my bread?" I offer, not wanting it to go to waste.

"No, thank you. I'm not hungry." I get a better look at him when he turns towards me to answer. He looks incredibly pale, with dark circles under his eyes.

"Hey, are you alright?" I worriedly ask. "You don't look so good."

     He nods and clears his throat, coughing a bit before saying, "Yeah, I'm just tired."

"Are you sure?" I look for confirmation. He seems so run-down.

     Yes, I'm fine. I could have used another hour or two of sleep, though." Liam faintly laughs. I smile, still a bit worried about him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

     I'll never get tired of watching Harry draw. He's always so into it, he draws with such concentration. I don't even pay attention to what he's drawing, I'm just looking at him. So, while we wait for Second Feeding to start, we're just sitting around the drawing tables.

     Louis went to get us some more apples, so he should be back soon. I look around and see Zayn intently drawing what looks like a tree, Pam drawing what looks like Zayn, and Peter and Dan just talking to each other. Dan's looking a bit pale, like Liam was.

"Aimee? Does your arm hurt a bit, like mine does?" Harry asks.

     I shake my head, "No, why?"

     He shrugs, "It just hurts a bit, where I got that shot. Lenore told me that might happen to some of us, I was just wondering if it was happening to you as well."

"Oh, Lenore didn't tell me that." I say. We spend a few moments in a comfortable silence until it's time for Second Feeding. Just as we were about to leave, Louis runs up to us with three apples in his hands.