My New Roommate

Ms. Rockley was wearing different shoes. I followed her, watching her grey heels that clicked on the floor. They stopped outside of a door with a pink, glittery 'Do Not Disturb-Getting My Beauty Sleep' sign hanging on the doorknob. Susan tossed one of her warm smiles at me and she said; "I think you and Francis will become fast friends before long. She is a sweet girl and she is about your size... you could share clothes." With a few sharp, short raps on the door, she opened it. "Francis? Sorry to interrupt, but there is someone that I would like you to meet; your new roommate!" She gestured to me and her face went funny before she added; "I just realized that I never got your name." I rubbed my arm and replied.

"Neither did I. I'm afraid I don't have one, not one that I remember..." Francis came to the door and looked back at me. She had dark skin and big, brown eyes. She had a mass of black curls braided and twisted into an elaborate hairdo. She was very pretty. She also had a pair of huge, black bat-like wings. 'You could share clothes' She gave me a friendly grin, revealing sparkling, white teeth. "I suppose you could call me whatever you want." I felt a tear fall and I wiped it away. It was weird not knowing what your name was. I didn't like the feeling.

"Well you can't go around without a name! We'll have to fix that! Hmm." Francis put her chin in her hand and thought hard. Her nails were long and painted dark purple. "Your wings are pretty, by the way."

I was startled by the compliment and my words fell clumsily out of my mouth. "U-um, t-thank you..."

Suddenly, she brightened. Her hands flew up and she squealed. "They're like angel wings! Omigod! What about Angel?"

Thinking for a moment, I smiled. Angel. I like it! I nodded my head and Susan Rockley put her hands together under her chin. "Angel." She pondered. "It suits you. Well there you are. All set with a new friend and a new name. Good day, girls." She gave each of us a motherly pat on the shoulder and then walked away, her grey high heels clicking down the stairs.

I turned back to my new roommate. She was inspecting my orange jacket with her eyebrows knitted together. "Now that you have a name, we need to fix this." Pointing at my outfit she chuckled. "Girl, orange is not your color."