New Order of Things

For the next month and a half, all my free time was split between reading and training for flying. I figured that upper arm strength would help flying to be easier, so I added weight lifting to my daily flying exercises. I was getting better every day.

I had read every one of Susan's medical books and was thirsty for more. I was hanging out with Joseph and, of course, Frankie a lot. The jerks were leaving everyone alone. Everyone was happy and there was peace. Until the day came, when we got news that would change our lives. It was so typical all that morning. I flew in the morning, took a shower, ate breakfast, watched the kids, laughed with Frankie, and enjoyed being alive. Then Aaron, one of the older boys ran into the room. He called for all the older people to come meet with him. I tousled Joseph's hair before going with Frankie and the others to follow him. In the lobby, Aaron tried to look calm, but something was clearly wrong. "G-guys, something has happened... something very bad. I need us all to stay calm and stick together... can you all do t-that?"

"What happened?" I urged him.

"It's Susan." He hesitated. "She's been murdered." A shocked gasp went around the group. "I-in her lab... they don't know who did it b-but... she's dead." He added before silence filled the room. 

Something clicked in my head and I whispered. "How will we eat?" I felt selfish and stupid for saying it out loud, but it was a valid question. Without Susan, they were helpless. She kept the water running, the power on, and the food pantry full. Not to mention she kept most of the peace between the inhabitants of the hotel. Now that she was gone, they were doomed. Mentally slapping myself, I let Aaron's words echo in my mind. I need us all to stay calm and stick together. If the news was broadcasted to everyone, there would be a panic.

I quickly whipped up a plan. When I had figured it out, I told everyone about it. "We are not going to tell everyone else... yet. We need to set up a new government, first. I propose we split into a team of two; one party will be in charge of keeping peace in the hotel, the other will go search the city for food. Then, when this new plan works, we can break the news to them. That way, they won't feel doomed, but encouraged that we are making it work." I looked at Aaron. "Does that sound good?"

After a moment of thought, Aaron replied. "That is better than anything I would have come up with... but who will be our leader?" Everyone, even Ruby and Slick, looked at me and I got all tense. That wasn't the response I was hoping for, but I can make do with that.

"No, no, no... not me." I shook my head vigorously. "ALL of us will work together to make it work... And we can make it work. Who's with me?"