Unfamiliar Past

"Isolation is the lifestyle of separating yourself from the outside world and dwelling in an exclusive environment to examine your personal thoughts and feelings to further understand your own mind and heart and improve the way you process the world and its people."

I read on about how many famous figures have isolated themselves and shown marked improvement in their behavior, peace of mind, and lack of physical and verbal violence. Gandhi, for example, had excluded himself from people for a few years and was known globally for being a peaceful, non-violent leader.

It was the oh-so typical scenario of me reading, when Frankie twirled into the room. She danced over to the old stereo and flicked it on. A heavy metal song was blaring and I started banging my head on impulse. With a laugh, she tuned it to another station with lighter, bouncy music. My roommate danced over to the window and opened it, then hopped onto her bed and sprawled out. Bouncing her feet to the beat, she smiled happily at the sunlight poking through the newly-made curtains. I set the book down and stared, contemplative at her.

"What set you off, girl?" I asked, grinning at her joyous mood. She giggled and replied.

"Nothing." At, this I hopped from my bed to hers and hunched over her, inspecting her face. She wriggled and pushed me away, laughing. I figured it was something about T.J. and I let her off with not telling me just this once. I stood and started putting books in my bag. I had been collecting Donnie's and should have returned them a long time ago.

Tying my shoes, I walked out the door. Going down the stairs, I saw Brooklyn and waved to her. Joseph was practicing his variel flip on the walkway outside. "Getting some fresh air?" I petted his hair and he gave me a side-hug.

"I guess. Where are you going?"

"Donnie's again. Be good." He grinned and I walked all the way to the playground before leaping into the air and taking flight.

-

I stood behind my turtle boy, who sat at the screens as always, and put my chin on the top of his head. He cleared his throat. "I think I've found something on your past, Angie."

"Really?" I peered at the screen and a picture of a girl popped up. She looked just like me, but she had no wings.

"Y-yeah." Donnie sighed and his fingers twitched, hovering over the keys. "A-are you really sure you want to know? I mean, aren't you happy as you are?" He rubbed his head.

"Why do you ask? Is there something in my past that would affect who I am now?"

"Everything would change if you knew anything! Think about it, Angel. How you view life is based off of things you have experienced, right? Even the people you choose to be around and the opinions you have would be affected drastically if you were swayed by the knowledge of the life you don't remember."

"Why are you so worried about this? What are you so afraid of me finding out about?" When he was quiet, I begged. "Please, Donnie, tell me." He drew a shaky breath and stood up.

"You can read it if you want. I need a break from the screen lights." Turning to look at me, he added. "I think you'll agree with me that you were quite the impressive person... Still are." He left the room and I sat in the skateboard chair and started reading.