Taking Flight

It was getting dark as we slipped out of the hotel and ran up a hill, heading for a secret place to try flying. We found an old playground with a basketball court. Frankie let go of my hand and hopped on the swings. "Go ahead and give it a go." She watched me, expectantly. I felt silly but I stretched my wings out and started pumping them up and down. It was a lot harder than I had anticipated, but the harder I moved them, the more powerful I felt. They were pretty strong and when I lifted them up and pulled them down with all I had in me, my feet lifted off the ground. In my surprise and joy, I fell down on the dead grass.

Standing and rubbing my shoulder, my eyes met Frankie's and we both chuckled like idiots for a while. "That was awesome. It took me a lot longer than that to get off the ground... how do you feel?"

I smiled happily at my friend. "I feel like I want to try that again."

-

"I don't want to do this!" I cried out. Frankie was holding my hand and pulling me closer to the edge of an old, broken building.

"You'll be fine! Come on!" She tugged my arm and I stepped closer and peered down the side of the three story building. "You're good at flying over the ground, Angel! Now you get to have some real fun! It will be okay... I will be right with you the whole time." She squeezed my hand and I felt my fear die, slowly. I sucked in a breath of air. This would, logically be the next step to flight. I had practiced on the ground for so long and now it came to this. I could do this. I had to do this. You are insane. I took one more step. I was right on the edge. I looked at Frankie and nodded. She counted to three and we jumped.

I felt wind against my wings and my hair whipped back as the ground got closer I had a moment of panic before my instinct took over and I was suddenly light as a feather. Wide-eyed and amazed, I found myself flying. I was flying. The sky and I were one and I had never felt so free. I closed my eyes and breathed in the moment. Opening them again, I saw Frankie beside me. On her face was a 'told you so' grin and I laughed joyously as we flew. I understood what she meant about it being difficult. Every time I pumped my wings my back, shoulders, and arms screamed. Soon we were on the ground once again. I was bouncing up and down, squealing like I was twelve. Frankie bounced with me and we couldn't stop giggling. I flew. I can fly! I hugged Frankie and squeaked. "That was amazing! I can fly! Oh my God, I can fly!"

She laughed, rather breathlessly. "Yeah, I know." She pinched my shoulder and I winced. "But you get why I don't do it much, huh?"

Putting our sore arms around each other, my best friend and I laughed all the way home.

0X