Breakthroughs

The midday sun filtered through the window and illuminated the pages of my book. I flipped a page and continued reading. Brooklyn, who was also a book junkie, let me borrow her precious copy of Moby Dick, her favorite book. I could see what she liked about it as I soaked up the words on the paper. The whaling ship stopped rocking, the rain stopped and the men's shouts were silenced when Frankie burst into the room. I returned to the story as she said something. I finished the chapter about the time I heard her say; "Are you even listening to me?"

Closing the book and setting it aside, I answered. "I am, now."

Steam almost came out of her ears and then she shrieked. "T.J. just asked me out on a date... like an actual date. I have nothing to wear! You have to help me!" I glanced at the overflowing closet and held back a chuckle. Nothing to wear... What a shame.

"Stop smiling and help me decide my outfit!" She opened the closet door all the way and the mountain of cloths fell out.

"Oh that's easy... I'll just pick out the clothes that I dislike the most." I smiled at my panicking roomie and shuffled over to the piles of pinks and purples. I sifted through them. "Any specific preferences?"

"Just something nice..." I pointed to my grey t-shirt and ripped jeans. "Not your definition of 'nice', mine." She knelt beside me and we searched together.

Before long, she had changed clothes over a dozen times and busted into tears twice. A new record. Finally, she nodded approvingly at the mirror, wearing a lacy grey top and a frilly, black skirt with violet flowers all over it. There was a knock on the door and she did a quick makeup check before I opened the door. T.J. stood there, looking slightly more dressed up than usual and staring at Frankie with big eyes. "Hermosa... Frankie, you look..." He coughed and rubbed his head nonchalantly. "Y-you look nice." They took off on their walk and I watched them disappear, holding hands.

-

I stayed up late, reading. I was sucked into the story when I heard a tap on the window. Startled, I put the book down and stood to see what it was. I was met by a pair of green eyes in nerdy glasses and a big, happy smile. "Donnie?!" I squeaked. He mouthed the words, 'Open up!' I pushed the window open and stammered. "What are you doing on the roof?" He put his hands on my shoulders and shook me.

"Angel! We did it! I've found the cure!"

"Really!? Oh, my god that's amazing!" I leaped onto the roof with him and he held my hands in his.

"I couldn't have done it without you..." He paused, looking nervous. "I came over to tell you... And I thought maybe we could celebrate... Together."

I felt myself blush and I struggled to find the right words. "Are you... A-asking me out on a... On a date, Donnie?" He nodded. I felt lightheaded and there were butterflies in my stomach.

"You're such a cool person, Angel. What do you say?"

"O-of course! What did you have in mind?" He grinned and let go of my hands.

"You'll see... Come on." He walked to the edge and jumped off the roof. I stretched my wings and glided to the ground. He started running and I followed him. It didn't take me very long to start panting. He was a lot faster than me. I started pumping my wings, deciding to fly. In the air, I saw the ninja's shadow sprinting through the overgrown brushes and darting between trees. I wondered where he was taking me.

Donnie led me into the busier part of Manhattan. I watched as he scaled a building, landing gracefully on the roof. I dropped down next to him. He put one of his feet on the edge and peered down at all the sparkling lights. I rested a hand on his shoulder and gazed likewise. The city was beautiful at night. A rolling river of lights, formed by the wide streets filled with cars made a musical tune of horns. Donnie put his hand over mine and told me the ingredients of the cure. "I got it straight out of Susan's notes... I was at my wits end before I met you, Angel. I really, honestly couldn't have done it without you. Thanks."

"I'm thankful to have gotten the chance to work with you, Donatello. You're a great friend... What are you going to do with it now?"

"The cure? I gave April the jar and the exact measurements of the contents... She can get it to the right person... You are a great friend, too, Angel... But maybe we can be more?" His green eyes sparkled in the street lights and My heart fluttered.

"Yes, Donnie. We can."

-

He climbed onto the first roof of the hotel with me and before I stepped back into my room, he kissed me on my forehead. "See you later."

"Goodbye." I stepped through the window, closed it and watched him jump off the roof.

I yawned and smiled huge like an idiot... Then a light flicked on.

"Ooooo! Angel's got a boyfriend!!!!" Frankie sang, shining her flashlight in my eyes.