Terrible Passings

The tears had stopped and I was pondering my past self's experiences while I glided through the air. All of a sudden, I could smell smoke. Looking ahead, I saw the very tips of the hotel's roof. When I caught a glimpse of flickering light, I plunged to the ground, somersaulted, and started running.

I gasped as, through the tree branches, I saw flames peeking out of broken windows. On the walkway, just off the porch, lay Joseph. His skateboard rested beside him and a constellation of bullet holes marked his head and torso. I held my breath as I knelt at his side, trembling. Blood leaked from his wounds as I held his head to my chest, crying. What happened?! I glanced at the fire inside the building and I bounded up the stairs in haste. The door was kicked down and I covered my mouth and nose and moved inside.

The stairs were inflamed and I ran through the lobby. "Hello!?" I screamed. Opening the double doors to the pool, I sobbed. It was filled with small children lying on the ground with bullets in their little heads. As much as I longed to sink to my knees and scream as the flames took me, I had to look for survivors. Biting back my sobs, I searched the room.

When I saw that there wasn't anyone left there, I went back into the lobby. In the corner of my eye, I saw Frankie behind the main desk. Children were clinging to her, blood streaked their bodies and when I felt for heart beats, I choked and sobbed at their silent, lifeless corpses. I pulled Frankie's body into my lap and held her close to me. Tears stained my cheeks and I cried harder than ever before. My best friend in the whole world was gone.

When I came to my senses, I pulled her over my shoulder and carried her, not being able to leave her body there to burn. I pushed through the door and stomped to the front door, which had twice as many flames licking the broken wood than before. I ran through the exit and felt the flames singe my clothes, skin, and feathers as I collapsed on the steps.