Tension and Skateboards

Three days after I had first arrived, I was given a job. Susan Rockley gave certain duties to each of the older mutants. I was in charge of watching the younger kids. I was happy about my job. I was pretty sure I liked kids. I sat in the pool room while the swarm of small people played. I occasionally looked up from my book to make sure they were doing okay. It was an easy task, especially since they all seemed to occupy themselves. I returned to reading my book; a science fiction twist on Cinderella. It was gripping and exciting. I was loving it. I finished a chapter and felt someone's presence beside me. Tearing my attention from the pages, I looked and found a little boy beside me. I set the book down and realized it was the kid that was tripped by the jerk-face. He was sitting with his hands in his lap. His eyes avoided hers and his furry ear twitched as he murmured. "Thanks for sticking up for me... When you first got here." His voice was very soft and quiet. He looked up at me for half a second before staring at his hands again. "No one will play with me... C-can I sit here with you?"

My heart melted and I wanted to hug and squeeze him. Instead, I replied. "Of course you can. My name is Angel. What's yours?" He almost smiled and he whispered. "Joseph."

"When I first came, you were doing a cool trick on your skateboard. You like skating?" He grinned shyly and nodded. His expression faded, though, when I asked him if I could watch him skate.

"My board is gone. I can't show you my trick."

"What do you mean it's gone? Where did it go?"

"Slick took it." My eyes went wide with fury, but my voice stayed calm.

"Slick? The fish guy? He stole your skateboard?" Joseph nodded and I scanned the room. I caught a glimpse of a golden-brown tail swishing back and forth from behind a corner. I put my book in Joseph's lap and said; "Hold this for me." Standing, I walked to the corner and rounded it. Ruby Queen was leaned against the wall, filing her nails. "Where is he?" I asked, casually. She looked at me and snarled like I was the most disgusting thing she ever laid eyes on. She didn't answer, so I snatched the file and threw it. It made a tinkling sound as it fell. Her eyes burned at me.

"What is wrong with you? I don't know where he is!"She whined. I put on my big, intimidating face and step closer to her. I put my hand on her shoulder and push her against the wall. My face inches from hers, I whisper.

"Yes. I think you do. Tell me where Slick is." A deep-throated growl echoes through her clenched teeth.

"Be careful, little girl." She glared at me, hard. "You're not the only one around here that can fight." Before I know it, her hands are around my throat and her claws are threatening to puncture my skin.

I pull back my free hand, balling it into a fist and ready to sink it into the ridge of her sternum. Before I get the chance, we are being pulled apart by two different pairs of arms. Slick pulls ruby's claws off my neck and Frankie holds my hands back. I snarl at the fish. "You stole Joseph's skateboard and you're going to give it back. Now."

Slick stared at me, glanced at his fuming girlfriend, and then busted up laughing. "All this for a stupid board? You really are crazy, Pigeon." I lunged for him, but Frankie held me back.

"No, all this because you act like you can do anything you want. You took something that wasn't yours and I want justice. I am not crazy, I am destroying the anarchy; and my name is Angel."

He looked amused, which irritated me. He sighed and rolled his eyes. "It's in my room. I'll go get it." He started to leave and then paused. He smirked. "... unless you want to come to my room with me. I could show you a few things you don't know." He winked and I could have thrown up. I gave him my most angry face and he scoffed before going out of sight.

Ruby was still standing there with the disgusted look on her face. Frankie urged me to follow her and leave Ruby alone. I hesitated for a moment, staring back at the cat and squinting my eyes to give a silent Beware. Then, I followed Frankie back to Joseph, where we sat and chuckled together, making fun of the big wimps that pick on everybody.

When Slick came back with the board, he handed it to Joseph, licked his lips at me, and disappeared out of sight. Joseph showed off his skating skills as Frankie and I applauded and watched on.