Sleepy Genius

Donatello's POV:

My eyelids felt heavy. I had been in the lab for... I don't know... Forever? The different colors of chemicals mixed together in a vial. I had failed, again. A cure was still to be found. I put my head in my hands and groaned. Suddenly, I heard feet at the door. Looking up, I saw Mikey there. He leaned is elbows on either side of the entrance. "Hey Donnie? Will you... Hang out with me?" I felt a pang of guilt as I replied.

"Mikey, I've been working for hours. I really need some sleep. Maybe some other time?" My little brother's face looked too aged for his bright, sunny personality. He nodded and walked out of sight.

I stood up, heading for bed. My thoughts drifted back to Angel. It had been over a week since I had last seen her. I imagined her face in my head. She was really pretty. Better than that was our common interests. I had thoroughly enjoyed speaking with her the day I snuck out to visit her hotel. She was sincerely fascinated with the same things I was and I couldn't wait to see her again. Maybe she could figure out what I was missing in the experiments.

Lying in bed, my eyes got too heavy to keep open. It probably wasn't a good idea to invite her over yet, though. Not after the recent trouble with human girls in the lair. But if she was a mutant, too, would Master Splinter or Leo mind that much? Angel's face smiled sweetly at me as I faded off to sleep.